New Clutch Questions

mhissticobra

Feb 12, 2004
I am getting my car back from getting a King Cobra clutch put in. I know I have to "baby" it until it sets in properly. My question is how long of a break in and how low of RPMs should I stay under? :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

king cobra

Yeah i had the King Cobra set-up in my 93 and I remember that clutch quite well. It took about a good month before we worked out the glitches but you should expect to have a sore leg after a few hours behind the wheel. The King cobra was so heavy my wife couldn't handle the pressure so she wouldn't drive the car "fine by me". Since that I've upgraded to a new GT and I'm currently using a centerforce dual friction which is a pain in the ass just the same as the king cobra!

I had a Spec Stage II put in about a month ago. I was told I can rev it as high as I want, just dont sidestep the clutch or do any burnouts for about 500 miles. I took it moderately easy for the 500 miles, and heard no chatter or anything from mine. It bites really hard, and the pedal effort is only a hair tougher than stock. My g/f barely noticed I got a new one put in other than how hard it bites. I took it up to 5000 and 5500 within the 500 miles and had 0 problems. I downshifted every gear except into 1st of course, I heard your not supposed to on new clutches, but Spec said go ahead and the shop said go ahead...so I went ahead :). Its got close to 1500-2000 miles on it now and feels as good as it did the day of the install. I took it out the other day and nailed the gas and sidestepped the clutch and almost shat myself lol. That is one mean revving car now with L/T's let me tell you but thats another thread.
Oh yeah, I dont have an adjustable quad or anything either, just got a new clutch only and have had 0 problems.

:cheers: