New Dyno Results

rconaway

Founding Member
Nov 11, 1999
Phoenix, Az.
It's been a long time but we are finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. The car is dynoing 643 but the fuel pressure regulator is now having trouble. The car has an aeromotive which starts fine at 40lbs and goes up to 50 but we need it to go to 57. Gave up on the Aeromotive A1000's as they just never kept up and went to duals Walbro's.

The GT now has an aluminum block, Vortech S-Trim, Livornois heads with stage-1 cam, and the obvious forged parts. Here was the dyno today but it's still got some tuning to go. So far 643HP. These heads seriously rock.

Dyno Run after heads.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

I will say it's been a long time getting it back on the road. After I did some damage with detonation to 2 of the pistons and rings from fuel pump problems with the A1000's, I figured I would pretty much go the whole way since I need at least 650RWHP for 200mph. Right after the car went in the shop, I found an aluminator block on Ebay for about 1/2 price of retail still in the crate. Arizona Dyno rebuilt the entire engine and popped it back in. The first problem we had was still the A1000's not statying consistent. After having Aeromotive check them and send them back, they still didn't work right so we got dual Walbro's. That solved one problem. Keep in mind I have a return system.

Next problem was the fuel rails were leaning out on one side. Had to replace those and feed them from both sides. During tuning, we ran into the Aeromotive regulator going from 40-50 lbs but it needs to go up to 57. We are ordering a Weldon unit to see if that fixes the problem. The curve starts going wacky above 5000 rpm's but with the Livernois heads, cam, and springs, it should spin to 7000. It's currently running 17lbs of boost. The only problem with that and 91 octane fuel i that without adding a couple gallons of 109 in the tank (20 gallon fuel cell), we have redline at 5000 and run 9 degrees of timing. That's still 500rwhp but I have to see what the mileage looks like with that setup. We may go down to 13-14 to get more timing.

Kieth and John at Arizona Dyno are spending many hours with this project but the results are amazing. Once it's finished, we now expect at least another 20hp or more with the curve straightened out and cleaned up on top. I also added 2000R brakes in front, wider tires, and with the 80 lb savings off the front end, the car should also work even better on the road track now.

One thing that we are learning as the engine gets rebuilt is what works and what doesn't work. I'm no longer a fan of aeroomotive after several fuel pumps and filters. They just don't last in a street environment. My new throw it away is Bassani in-line cats. The don't last in the street either and just fall apart. The second pair didn't last more than a few test drives and dyno runs. They are now junk also. Of course, I can't find my receipt for a part that isn't more than a few months old and they really don't care their product just falls apart in a few hours so I'm going elsewhere for new cats also.

Aeromotive seemed to care, they just couldn't fix the fuel pumps and now it seems the regulator. I changed to Walbro's, no more problems. I have Bassani exhaust but after the cats, I may replace those. With the horsepower numbers we are now seeing, I may have to go to a 3 or 4" exhaust system to handle the power. I have to imagine the 2.5" system is now becoming a hindrance. I'm just praying the tranny doesn't fall apart first.

Why are you even running cats? With the volume of air you are pumping through that engine, I hardly think a stock-replacement cat would be remotely up to the task. And you've proven it isn't lol.

I think if you really want cats you'd look for something that comes stock on an engine making that kind of power.

Nice results, BTW :nice:

I didn't have stock cats, I had the Bassani inlines that were supposed to be low restriction. They fall apart though. They are saying they have a ceramic version but it's not on the website so I don't know how I"m supposed to know that. I was thinking of Viper cats but Kieth says they have some that work well.