new edge questions

jdb3rd

Apr 28, 2005
edgewater MD
I've owned 3 fox bodies and currently have a 88 gt t-top car with alot invested. The other day I picked up a 99 gt for daily driver duties. 68,400 miles auto and the car has a flowmaster exhaust and lowering springs. Any suggestions on what to look for problem wise on these cars as this is my first sn-95 car.

• Sponsors (?)

These are pretty problem free cars.

Only thing I'd check are the basics... make sure all fluids are full and fresh, listen for any odd noises, etc.

Check the front tire wear to judge how the alignment is. Depending on how low it is, you might need caster/camber plates to get a solid alignment.

Cars are pretty solid. I've owned mine for over 10 years(took delivery 10/31/01) and have put 139k on it. Still has the original clutch. Just had the infamous spark plug blowout happen to me a few weeks ago unfortunately. Car is currently in the shop getting a new thread tapped for the plug. In Ford's infinite wisdom they only cut a few threads into the heads for the spark plugs. Sometimes they work themselves out and can cause some nice damage. I was lucky in that it happened just a few miles from my house and I was able to limp home. The coil pack is no good because the spark plug boot just melted. Pretty nasty looking. Getting that replaced and doing all the plugs. Also had the heater core spring a leak at 93k. The heater core is behind the dash board. Yep, you guessed it, the dash had to get yanked out to swap out the core. $90 part cost a whole lot of coin to get replaced. That sucked. Lost the fuel pump two weeks after the heater core. That was a tough month for repairs, but other than that, just tires, brakes, and general fluid maintenance. Very enjoyable ownership experience. Good luck with your '99