New Engine Build for my 90 GT need some help

gofugyourselv

Mar 31, 2005
I've yanked the old retired 5.0 engine out of my 1990 GT ragtop. I'm looking to refresh the entire drivetrain. The old engine had around 140,000 on her. I'm looking at having someone rebuild my old powerplant and provide me with at least 350 to 400 HP. I've got a quote from a confident person for 3,700 for the rebuild. He has put together a package that consist of using new AFR 185 heads a base long block with stock rods, ARP bolts, Hyperutectic pistons, and Comp Cam hydraulic roller #35-556-8. This price includes rockers and pushrods as well. I want to keep the car streetable but I am also wanting to keep the car using the AOD and the factory A/C as well.

I'm wondering if this is a good price for the rebuild and if AFR is the right way to go for this build. I have done some price build ups and by the time I get a stock rebuild block new AFR 185's plus valvetrain I think I will be pretty close to this price. I'm also wondering what I can do with the AOD since I will be needing to get this rebuilt as well.

I will also be adding bigger fuel injectors, bigger throttlebody, mass air, ignition, and headers, If anyone can recomend injector size, throttlebody size, or anything that they have for sale for a build like this I'm in the buying market.
Thanks all

• Sponsors (?)

Well your not gonna see 350-400hp out of that 302. Flywheel horsepower you might see close to 350 but how you gonna dyno that? When i was just running the trick flow top end kit and all supporting mods (tb, injectors, smog delete, full exhaust, etc,etc) i put down 290 hp and 320 torque on a mustang dyno after a tune. The tf twisted wedge heads that come with the kit are comparible to the afr 185's. Youll probably want to switch to a forged 347 stroker motor with higher compression , like i just got in the mail 3 days ago, and some 205 heads and a custom cam if thats what your goals are.

This car that is getting the rebuild is a weekend show car and not my main transporation. I drive a 2008 GT for my daily driver so I am just wanting this car to be comparable to my 2008 in power but not hinder reliabilty any. I am also wanting to get a pretty good lope out of the car but still be able to keep the AOD with no vacume issues. Do you think the price that I am getting for the long block is a good price for what I'm getting done?