New Engine Build Questions

Logan Forshee

Oct 2, 2013
Hello all,

I have been searching around trying to find the best parts to use for my new 4.6 2V TT build. Anyway, I was searching and came across Coast High Performance who sell many different 4.6 performance parts. They have a nice short block with -21.1 cc dished pistons ending with around a 9.5:1 compression ratio when paired with a 45cc combustion chamber. All forged internals of course. The question I had was that there is one short block with 3.750 stroke and one with a 2.851 stroke, they both have the same displacement of 5.1L. What is the difference? which is better?

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

Hello all,

I have been searching around trying to find the best parts to use for my new 4.6 2V TT build. Anyway, I was searching and came across Coast High Performance who sell many different 4.6 performance parts. They have a nice short block with -21.1 cc dished pistons ending with around a 9.5:1 compression ratio when paired with a 45cc combustion chamber. All forged internals of course. The question I had was that there is one short block with 3.750 stroke and one with a 2.851 stroke, they both have the same displacement of 5.1L. What is the difference? which is better?

That 2.851 has to be a typo. A 3.552" bore and a 2.851" stroke would yield a 3.7L V8.

FWIW, their other figures don't make sense either: A 3.552" bore and a 3.750" stroke only gives 4.87L, not 5.1. You'd need a bore more like 3.625" to get closer to 5.1L...

Call 'em up and ask them the real dimensions. You never know if the guy writing the web page has all the information the machine shop does.