New engine oil leaking down back of oil pan

YELLOW 94

Founding Member
Nov 19, 1999
Rio Rancho NM
I installed a new engine, it now has 46 miles and it was going good. Then yesterday I took it out for about a 10 mile drive for break in. Got home and noticed oil running down the back of the oil pan. Could not tell where it was coming from. The pan or the rear main. When installing a clutch do you have to put any teflon tape for bolt holes going into the engine. So tonight im gonna pull the tanny and hopefully its not the oil pan.

later
Orlie

• Sponsors (?)

might be a stupid question but did you check the pcv valve? when i got my car the jerk that sold it to me didnt have one on the car so i kept spitting out oil

I dont have a pcv valve in the car. I checked all around the valve cover and breathers and no leaks. I pretty sure its coming from the oil pan. Im removing the transmission as I post this.

I used thread locker on the flywheel bolts, and also on the pressure plate bolts.

This is gonna suck to pull the engine for this damm oil pan.

Anybody ever had a moroso pan leak. How are the canton pans.

later
Orlie

So I got the tranny and clutch off. There was oil every where. It was had to tell if the pan was leaking or the rear main was. What is the best way to determine what was leaking. Im thinking when I pull the engine to tilt the engine on it back side so the oil will be above the pan and see where it starts to leak. Not sure if this will work any suggestions.

later
Orlie

I’m going to replace the oil pan with something different. When I installed the moroso pan I thought it was weird that the bolt holes closest to the rear main on each side were not used, kind of hard to explain. But I thought that moroso knows what there doing so I put the pan on. I should have listened to myself and called moroso and asked what the hell is going on with this. So now I’m stuck with deciding what pan to get, I’m considering just going back to the original pan. I never had a leak with the original pan I just wish that it would hold 7 quarts of oil.

later
Orlie

So I called Moroso this morning and explained to them my issue. The first question they asked was what oil pan gasket did I use. I said I used a one piece FMS gasket, he told me that those pans do not seal very good with a one piece gasket.

The gasket they recommend is a four piece gasket from fel-pro. He explained to me that metal inserts in the one piece that keep you from over torquing the gasket doesn't allow the pan to compress the gasket enough in the main cap and the timing cover.

Im ordering the gasket they recommend. I should have the car running by the end of the weekend. Start her up and cross my fingers.
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=FPP-1809&autoview=sku

later
Orlie