new engine wont start

jeeps

Sep 10, 2009
i just installed a reman'd engine and i have one huge problem, i have no idea where the ground for the negative battery cable goes, currently i have it between the block and the motor mount, however, i still have insufficient power to start the car and only get one crank from the starter. the car however, does start with a jump the start engages as it should, and the engine will turn over but will cut off immediately after unless the throttle is held at 1000 rpms. the alternator is good and the starter has been ruled out, one suggestion was that there was a dead cell in the battery however multiple batteries where used. im convinced that this problem is a ground issue if any one can help out or send pictures it would be greatly appreciated i just need to see where you guys would have that cable located its on the driver side i have it one bolt under the ground strap on the motor mount.

• Sponsors (?)

the engine is a 2000 4.6 in a 97 body the wire harness is original. but i havnt seen a ground from the driver side head in the old or the new engine does it attach to the firewall? and i already have the ground strap leading from the frame to the block, and the negative battery cable grounded on the block

Try running 10 gauge wire from battery clamp to the body to make sure all of your grounds are covered. Check your voltage regulator. How are your connections to the battery, are they new or the originals?

the connectors are original but they worked fine before so thats not the issue, and what would that ten guage wire do? i have the negative battery ground already on the block. and what terminal would that cable go to? but the volt meter reads a quarter below normal. and only reads normal when jumped by another car when my car is off.