New exhaust installed- pics

coolblue65

Founding Member
Jul 26, 1999
Algonquin, IL
I finally got around to getting my new exhaust installed, I had dual 2.25" straight pipes with Flowmasters. I now have the 2.5" Magnaflow kit with x-pipe.

Its sounds alright, definately quieter in all aspects compared to my old setup- I miss my Flows! It definately looks pretty though. I should have picked up a good bit of power considering my motor and how restrictive my old system was.

Hopefully I can get to the track in the next week or so to work on some better times with my new drag radials.

2164272_65.jpg
2164272_64.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

I just bought a pair of 2.5 inch magnaflow mufflers.
Is it just the 'volumn' of sound that you are not happy with? Or is it more 'tone', or 'depth'?

Everybody has the flow masters, and I don't hate them, but I'm 43 also, and don't care for the 'droning' that the flows are famous for.
I have high hopes for the magnaflows, and am looking forward to an audio clip too!

I got the same setup and was slightly disappointed as well (but was very happy on how much quieter it got), until I removed the tailpipes and routed the exhaust to the side. Now I'm happy. It's not the quiet-ness that bugged me with full tailpipes because even late model 5.0s sound good when quiet, but rather the pitch seemed a little off. I guess you could say they sounded like quieter glasspacks?

The best way I can descirbe the sound is 'Muffled' (and yes I know they are mufflers) Inside the car it is sooooo much quieter, but I never had a problem with the sound before, and never experienced any resonance before either.

Golf- I have Hooker Comps that are Jet-Hot coated and I have stock mechanical clutch linkage.

Here are the video clips;

At idle and revved to about 3k:

Off the line through 1st and 2nd gears, I am not at full throttle because I didn't want to make a burn out video:

And for comparison sake, here is the old exahaust:

I've got the 3 inch version but I'm still just a shell. Do you think your exhaust is high enough to clear the TCP cross support brace for the subframe connectors? John

edit: I just caught your video clip. It does sound a little off at idle and just revving it a little. Sounds good when going through the gears.