New Ford 5.0L V8

78CobraII

Jul 31, 1998
Birmingham, AL
I'm sure most of you have seen the pics posted on the site of the new Ford 5.0L V8 (The 5.0 Mustang is Back! | StangNet). It looks like a great engine to carry Ford into the future, even though its proabably not a great transplant option for the II.

I found a slightly more technical description of the engine here (Deep Dive: Ford's all-new 5.0 V8 — Autoblog) if you are interested. It has a neat exhaust header with nearly a Tri-Y design. This might be a good design to try if you are putting a larger engine into your II and need a compact exhaust header.

Attachments

• 2010_fiveoh_header_sm.JPG
    2010_fiveoh_header_sm.JPG
    13.8 KB · Views: 104
  • Sponsors (?)

The Ford Racing Parts crate engines are here:
Ford Racing Performance Parts [Complete Engines]

The 3V 4.6L engine is listed at $6999, and the 4V 5.4 SC engine is $17699.

I would imagine that the 3V 5.0L engine will come in at about $8000 when it arrives in crate form.

FRPP already sells 5.0L aluminum blocks for the 4.6L architecture, so you could take your 4.6 3V motor and make it a 5.0 fairly easily, and for a lot cheaper than $8000.

Oddly enough FRPP only offers 2 I4 engines, and they aren't even current. I guess if you want one badly enough, the 2.3L Duratech engine is available from Cosworth for about $8000. FRPP used to offer the 2.3L Duratech DOHC I4 from the Ranger, but it only made about 130 HP where the Cozzy makes 250!

FRPP doesn't offer any V6 crate engines. The new 3.5 DOHC V6 would be nice...

Speaking of good high-tech engine swaps, the Lincoln LS DOHC 4.0L V8 would be a much better fit int he MII engine bay with its 60 degree angle block than would the much wider 4.6L V8...

The real problem with all of these high-tech engine swaps is that not only do you have to control fuel and spark like in the past, but you also have to control the intake runners and cam timing!
:eek: