New Front Disks (stock replacement) for 69 mach 1

69machmike

Sep 13, 2009
Colorado
I am at the point of replacing my front disks on the mach-1. some interesting things have come up and I am looking for some suggestions.

End Goal
Because the whole front disk system is pretty much trashed after the complete media blasting of the car. I am looking to replace rotors, lines, calipers, bearings, etc. basically the front brakes. I have master cylinder, P-Valves etc.

My preference:
I would like to go with a stock look. No fancy brakes. I can stand better components but I definitely want to retain a stock look. A kit would be cheaper than piecemealing my front system.

Problems:
I found I have two different spindles ROFL! So I have to replace at least 1 of my existing spindles. My guess is 1 70 spindle and 1 69. Should I go ahead and pick up a new pair of 70 spindles? (they are more stout than the 69) so I hear.

Suggestions:
Should I just go and do the piecemeal Car-Quest rotors, calipers etc? or does someone know of a better way? Most of the restoration magazines have upgrades for drums (these will not work) or they wan't to go to the 2000 dollar stop on a dime colored caliper stuff.

Thanks
Mike

• Sponsors (?)

Number one, First Priority, Do not do the Granada SMALLER Brake Thing.

The Spindles you now have-As stated-One a 70 version, other a 69 version, is a C8OA/or a D0ZA/D1ZA Spindles.

Yes, the Journal sizes are different, require Different Rotors.

Now with this stated, You need to do something.

Keep one or the other, 68/69 Disc Brakes, or the 70 Disc Brakes.

Be Very easy transition, Change ONE Spindle, Apply the necessary hardware, Have FACTORY Mustang Disc Brakes Dam sure better than the Granada S___!---Bet you thought I was going to say---SH--T, No I Meant Stuff.

Dan

CHOCKOSTANG

Be Very easy transition, Change ONE Spindle, Apply the necessary hardware, Have FACTORY Mustang Disc Brakes Dam sure better than the Granada S___!---Bet you thought I was going to say---SH--T, No I Meant Stuff.

Obviously you have seen the infamous Porky Pig clip.

In his position I'd advise getting the proper 69 spindle. While the '70 is stronger, this is unlikely to be an issue even if he converts the car to a dedicated racing vehicle. And for street use, the 68-69 spindle has twice the strength of the 64-66 6 cylinder spindle.

I am more than a little surprised the car was media blasted with such parts on the car. The guys I know strip a car down to nuthin' before blasting.

JL0193.JPG

Number one, First Priority, Do not do the Granada SMALLER Brake Thing.

The Spindles you now have-As stated-One a 70 version, other a 69 version, is a C8OA/or a D0ZA/D1ZA Spindles.

Yes, the Journal sizes are different, require Different Rotors.

Now with this stated, You need to do something.

Keep one or the other, 68/69 Disc Brakes, or the 70 Disc Brakes.

Dan

CHOCKOSTANG

Dan,
More self serving S___! Granada brakes are nearly identical to original 68-73 Mustang brakes. They use the larger axle stub as in 70-73 Mustang and like the Mustang system, use a single piston caliper. Both systems use a 11" rotor, the Granada one being 1 lb heavier.

It doesn't help to mislead posters with self serving advise. I suspect that your constant drivel concerning "Granada" brakes would go away if you could access them for sale.

The OP has many options for rebuilding his brake system. By far the least expensive would be to replace the caliper, rotor, hoses, bearings and seals, and hardware with OE type. This would cost about $250. The mixed type spindles are OK will work fine. The larger stub type was the standard service part after 1970. The rotor's bearing races would need to be matched to the spindle.

I'm a little too retentive to have different spindles on each side, I'd have to be finding a 68-69 spindle.

I do have a problem with the Granada spindles. None fatal, but they add up. revised arm geometry- not much, but… Large tie rod end pin required, leads to mix-n-match parts… Relocated limit stops, again, not much, but… Finally, BIG hubs on the rotor, limiting wheel selection, especially OEM early wheels.

With earlier stuff so easy to get, I just can't see the point in using Granada parts.

I'm a little too retentive to have different spindles on each side, I'd have to be finding a 68-69 spindle.

I do have a problem with the Granada spindles. None fatal, but they add up. revised arm geometry- not much, but… Large tie rod end pin required, leads to mix-n-match parts… Relocated limit stops, again, not much, but… Finally, BIG hubs on the rotor, limiting wheel selection, especially OEM early wheels.

With earlier stuff so easy to get, I just can't see the point in using Granada parts.

I agree, if you don't need extra performance why not just put it back to the way that it was originally set up? It would be less confusing going forward.

Thanks for the responses guys, I love this community.

Well, the only reason I asked about the 70 spindles is they are actually readily available from mustangs unlimited. I remembered an old racing buddy commenting on the stoutness of the 70 spindles, so I brought it up as an inquiry, thanks for filling in some more knowledge gaps.

I would prefer 69 spindles all around (just to clarify).

2+2 - Yeah, I would also like to know what they (media blasters) were thinking. A case of dyslexia in the work place? I did however feel a bit better about the situation after I found the mismatched front end this week. I try not to get mad over things like this.

(I had the system on so it would roll). I was moderately to highly irritated after I got the car back. WTF they DIDN'T blast the rear end...but blasted the whole front suspension without removal, oh the humanity I had to get all new boots, seals, bolts etc and I wound up rebuilding the front suspension completely. I was at the final stage preparing to put on a brake system (which was an incorrect part# - mistaken order by 3rd party) when I saw the spindles didn't match.

Back to the question though, any suggested retailers? MU has nothing, NPD is better but no total Kit or anything.

Rotors -
Calipers -
Pads -
Lines -
bearings -

Suggestions? I know nothing of the quality of raybestos type brands etc. i am not a knowledgeable brake guy.

Cheers
Mike

Consider this a bump of the prior post --

I've got a '69 ragtop with OEM disks and have the same question -- does anybody sell a good package including new rotors, calipers, lines -- the whole works? I restored my car 20 yrs. ago (but only did a minor brake/suspension refreshening at the time), drove it about 500 miles, and then let it sit for 15 yrs. while I went off to school, settled into a career, and found a girl. I plan to do a complete rebuild/replacement of the brake system in the Spring.

Any thoughts on a good OEM-type kit are appreciated.

I started with nothing. I bought a set of 68 spindles because mine is a 68 and I wanted to keep it original. It would have been much easier to buy 70 spindles.

Then I got a set of cad plated slotted rotors because I thought they would resist rust better. Parts store calipers with the better quality parts store pads and parts store brake parts kit. Lines and hoses from NPD. I painted the calipers and spindles with Eastwood exhaust manifold paint which duplicates the cast iron finish (no ugly rust this way). It all worked out great.