New Guy... 96 Cobra???

Efrainsx

Sep 5, 2016
What's up forums I am going to go look at a 96 cobra 84k miles it's going to be my first mustang the owner says that he went for a drive in it and it started smelling like gas
What do you guys think it can be ? I'm picking this car up for 6k if guys can help me out with this that'll be great thanks in advance

• Sponsors (?)

Fuel tank filler grommet?

It's very hard to diagnose without more info via the interwebs. :) Does it do it on turns, under hard acceleration or just all the time?
Ok so I picked it up when I did the car had about half a 1/4 tank I filled her up and started hitting the road about 10 mins my brother from another car noticed some liquid leaking I pull over and it's gas leaking it's like right above the exhaust he thinks it could be a gromet aswell we let it keep on leaking for a while and then it stopped the leaking stopped when the gas tank gauge read 3/4 what do you think ?

I'd say its the grommet. I wouldn't continue to drive with gas leaking on hot exhaust parts. Just my own personal "I don't want to burn to death in my car" preference.

It's a cheap part. Sucks to replace. Run your fuel down to 1/4 or below before you drop the tank. Use lube of some sort to help reinstall the grommet as they can be snug (I mean really, who wants to throw a hot dog down a hallway?). :)

Good luck but I'd say you've found your culprit.