New Head Bolts?!Important question...

latham83

Jul 24, 2003
Hey I just read somewhere that I HAVE to get new head bolts??? Because the stock ones are torque to yield or something and can only be used once?!!!! is that true?!! my bolts look fine and i was going to resuse them? Im putting back on thumper heads, so its the same heads just redone and ported....
also my car is a 1990 5.0....can anyone give me an answer if i have to buy them?!!

• Sponsors (?)

Yes...regardless of how they look, torque to yield are 1 time use only, you could take your chances if you like, I wouldnt

If you order the ARP's get a tube of the ARP thread lube for the uppers and sealer for the lowers

SwAmPf0x said:
Yes...regardless of how they look, torque to yield are 1 time use only, you could take your chances if you like, I wouldnt

If you order the ARP's get a tube of the ARP thread lube for the uppers and sealer for the lowers

Yes you could use them...but not recommended...just go ahead and splurge for some ARP's...

David

hey which ARP set do i want..i dont want studs..just the bolts i need..im using thumper heads....got a part number anybody?!
and oh god..PLEASE dont tell me that i need all new manifold bolts, and header bolts too.....i think my frpp might come with new ones..i dunon bout gt-40 kit..but can i resue the old bolts of everything else..are the heads the only bolts u gotta buy new that are needed??

ok got it! thanks alot guys...another question though..ok..i have a CHILTONS manual..and in it..it says that the 1993 vehicles have the FLANGED head bolts..and they require a different torque value....now..i have a 1990 and the head bolts i have are HEX HEAD..they have a big ass head with NO WASHER.they are NON-FLANGED. i think these are reusuable..BUT if i buy new ARP BOLTS..it looks like they are flanged...does that mean i have to follow the different FLANGED torque values in the book then?
i think i made that clear enough....someone answer that knows what im talking about