new headlight install

May 6, 2003
Georgia
bought new cobra style hadlights but cannot get the old ones out. I have found the plastic nuts holding them on, but with the way they are positioned I cannot use the needlenose to get them off. My next method was trying to break them off, but that also resulted in failure. Any tips?

• Sponsors (?)

Getting the old ones off is not the hardest part.. getting the new ones aligned is a real bitch...

try using the plyers to rotate the plastic nut so you can clamp on the tabs for easy release..

Suggestion when putting the new ones on algin the tabs horizontal so when the alignment is way off you can get them back off with ease..

i was told by a ford mechanic that our headlights are not supposed to be perfectly alligned, one is suppoed to shoot farther out while the other is suppoed to shoot not as far, so one shines far out while the other shines right in front of you, this helps you see the whole road close and far. one should be either straight or tilted up a bit an the other should be tilted down a bit.

I just installed my cobras this week. You have two tabs you need to release with some needle nose pliers. One is behind the headlight globe and is connected to that long bolt. You also have to squeeze in this small arrow/triangular tab on the front side of the front, lower bolt at the outside of the headlight. You'll see it if you look.

I had the same problem when I did mine. I just pulled like a sunafabish and they popped out. Its about the stupidest way to mount headlights I've ever seen. The fun part is trying to get them aligned correctly, which means you have to take them out at least a couple times to adjust the screws. Just make sure you install the plastic clip with the collapsing taps horizontal so next time you can get at them with the needle nose pliers.

well, I just aligned my lights (got some 7200K temp color white Krypton gas bulb, LOVE THEM!) anyway, I made it so my fog lights light up the road right in front of me, and my regular lights now project much further in front of my car... so it's kidna like half way inbetween high/low beams... high beams go forever! anyway, just take a socket and a cut off allen wrench to adjust them, that's the easiest method I've found...

-btw, where did you get your lenses from? the procarparts ones?

I just took mine out a couple of nights ago. I took my finger on the bottom of the black piece and pulled up, then I took a screwdriver and pushed the part I could see down and pulled forward. It was a little tough to figure it out, but once I got the first one undone, no problem. Just go slow and don't break it.

Paul