New heads, acc. bracket stud does not screw in? hole too large in head?

IndyBlk5.0

Nov 24, 2003
New Whiteland, IN
This kindof makes me mad. I buy new heads, and I am evidently going to need some type of thread insert for the both sides. The stud for the a/c / p/s pump will not go into the head because the threads are way too large. same with one of my bolts on the alt bracket. What size do I need? This sucks, im about to go insane. :mad: :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

I'd probably call the maker of the heads and ask them, otherwise take a trip to your local hardware store with your stock bolt, and buy a bunch of bolts in that general size and close to what you think it's gonna be, then just trial and error it untill you find the right one. Then if you're a cheap ass like me you can return the other bolts.

Unfortunalty that is pretty common, you need the threaded inserts, most heads are the same. AFR, HOLLEY, EDELBROCK, etc sells it as a kit if you run into issues.

They sell thermactor plugs which "plug" up the hole where the smog equipment goes (the same thing works for the front of you heads...you can get them at a Ford Dealership - part # F4ZZ-6E086-A or you can buy some from Summitracing - part # TFS-51400265...when you put them in the front of your heads your alternator bolt and power steering stud will screw right in perfectly...when I first seen they were to big doing my h/c/i swap...I thought I put the heads on backwards :rolleyes:

Good Luck