New Heads

Well checked PTV Clearance and failed with stock pistons. It tore thru the clay guess trying to use a stock bottom end was a bad idea. Anyone have a recommendation on a set of pistons with better valve reliefs. Thanks

That is odd that those heads won't work. I had those same heads on a car and they bolted right on without a hitch, even with 1.72 RR.

Isky sells a piston notcher that you can use with the pistons in the motor or of the motor. It helps if you have an old spare head to use as a guide tool.

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

Well I had my buddy come check it too and he agreed I need bigger reliefs in the pistons. The problem is the relief is just smaller than the valve so the edge of the valve runs the side of the relief. It clears between the bottom of the valve and the bottom of the relief. I'm going to check on see if I can get the pistons cut for 2.02 valves. I don't trust my skill set to cut on the pistons.

How far off are you. Give them a little fly cut.

Kurt

Well not sure I'm trying to find out how much clearance I need on the side of the valve. I have a friend coming over Saturday who I would trust to work on the piston. Ill wait till Saturday and see what he thinks. I'm guessing I just need to remove a little material from the sides of the reliefs.

Well not sure I'm trying to find out how much clearance I need on the side of the valve. I have a friend coming over Saturday who I would trust to work on the piston. Ill wait till Saturday and see what he thinks. I'm guessing I just need to remove a little material from the sides of the reliefs.

What head gasket are you running? Was the block or heads ever milled? What p/n heads are those? Not doubting you but eddy 1.90 x 1.60 heads are bolt on heads.

What head gasket are you running? Was the block or heads ever milled? What p/n heads are those? Not doubting you but eddy 1.90 x 1.60 heads are bolt on heads.

Felpro gaskets using a used one to check clearances. The block is new from ford so it's factory stock but was set up for marine use with a reverse rotation cam. Maybe they used different pistons to. The valves are 1.94 and 1.60 no issues with the 1.60 clearing. I think the issue is more with my 270 cam with .542 lift with 1.72 rockers than with the heads. Either way its not a big issue the block is on a stand so if I need to swap out pistons noes the time. I like the prob flat tops they have nice reliefs.

Well, i ordered a set of Keith black pistons. Kb115, hope they work, they definitely look like they have better valve reliefs.

Sorry if I post too much here about this motor. I like to share and most of my friends are jeep guys who couldn't care less about my wife's mustang. I'm trying to keep it all in one thread so not to bother anyone. I should start a build thread for the motor.

urydyqub.jpg
ubupyne3.jpg

New pistons. These should work better and increase my compression ratio. Now I need to take them and the block to the shop and have them match the bores to the new pistons.

Reactions: 1 user
Sorry I didn't get back to you. You are better off with the Keith Black pistons in the long run. They aren't that expensive, but it is a hassle to get new pistons in an engine. It the old days we used to use a fly cutting tool that you could use while the engine was still together and in the car. I believe Lunati still sells it. It's a little grinding bit that you stick through the valve guide of an old cylinder head. You put a a layer of grease around the side of the piston so that metal shavings can't get between the piston and the cylinder wall. You bolt the head to the car car (with like 2 bolts), and grind each piston individually. They you suck out the metal shavings with a shop vac and clean up the grease.

Kurt