New IAC didn't work ??

bluextc

Feb 12, 2006
South Jersey
Was having a problem with the car revving to about 1300 when idling, then dropping to about 600, then back up and down, so I put a new IAC in yesterday and it didn't work. It's not doing it as often, but still about 30% of the time I am having the same problem. Any other ideas what might be wrong??

• Sponsors (?)

Ok, here's where I show just how little I know...
I put the restrictor on today (and knocked into the support holding the hood up and dropped the hood directly on my head, haha). Anyway, it looks like the rpms are sitting where they should when idling, but... I don't know if I am imagining it or not, because every time I make a change I think I am imagining it... the car seems a little sluggish... and I don't know, but feels like what I would imagine if it was running a little lean...
Is this possible? If so, how do I correct it???
Or maybe I just don't have a clue??
Help...

if the car is still under warranty go get the updated tune from ford. There was a bad tune on some of our cars.

If you don't want to do the above.... leave the restrictor plate on, open your manual and do a PCM reset. (unplug battery, wait, do proper start up / learning procedure)

Also buy hood struts. HAving had the Red Line and the MRT I prefer the MRT, no more head bashing ;)

I don't know if this can cause a funky idle or not but it could be your IAT. I know on my truck, one time I left it hanging down after doing some work and the fan cut it off ... my truck was running really weird until I fixed it. Cheap sensor ... but I could be way off base. Just throwing out ideas ...

bluextc said:
Well, nevermind, the restrictor didn't work either, car had the same idling problems today as before.

I wish I would have seen this sooner. I keep trying to tell people that restricting the IAC is NOT a fix for a bad idle. It will only make it worse, or at least harder to diagnose. Let the IAC do its job!:nonono:

Use your SCT Tuner to datalog the problem. Log all four fuel trims, o2 sensors, throttle position senser voltage, loop state, ACT, spark, and MAF voltage if it will let you log that many items. Post back here with the results and we can try to help from there. :nice:

jstreet0204 said:
I wish I would have seen this sooner. I keep trying to tell people that restricting the IAC is NOT a fix for a bad idle. It will only make it worse, or at least harder to diagnose. Let the IAC do its job!:nonono:

Use your SCT Tuner to datalog the problem. Log all four fuel trims, o2 sensors, throttle position senser voltage, loop state, ACT, spark, and MAF voltage if it will let you log that many items. Post back here with the results and we can try to help from there. :nice:

Thank you! I will try this today, tho it's going to be trial and error... not real "up" on how to use the tuner... I used it to put the tune in from American Muscle and that is all so far. I'll post back later today after I try (it's not even 6:30 am yet, haha)

Ok, been working on this since about 7 this morning. Finally have the software issues with the SCT done, and I am trying to choose which items to log and not sure what some of the items requested translate to on the livelink software. I assume I need Long term fuel trim bank 1 and 2 and Short term fuel trim bank 1 and 2. Got MAF Voltage and assume I want to log Spark Advance under engine? I know I am being a PIA, but really have no clue what I am looking at, can I get some specifics on exactly which items I need to check off to log???
thx...

jstreet0204 said:
I haven't used an xcal to datalog, so I can't help you with the translation, but I'll bump this thread so hopefully soembody with xcal experience can help. If no one chimes in PM Don 95vert on this site he will be able to answer you questions better than anyone.
Ok, thx. Think I'm going to try asking at the sct site also.

SilverBullet00 said:
I have the same problem- except my idle is ok, but my RPMS's hang when switching gears and stopping. I have read tons of posts on these types of problems and have found most of the cars are 99-00's.

Let us know what you find out!
Me too. Im going to try cleaning the MAF and changing the IAT. Ill be sure to let you know, and if anyone has fixed it with a new IAT let me know.

hmm

Dunno what to say, both my 99GT and my 99 Cobra both had the hanging idle issue, and the IAC restrictor worked like a champ for both cars. It definately did not make the issue worse. The IAC is a bypass for the air intake when the TB is closed, decreasing that passage size and allowing less air seems like the logical answer to me...

You may want to clean your TB if you have not already incase it's sticking...