New Ignition Setup.

85rkyboby

Mar 2, 2011
South ATL
I have an MSD Digital 6AL, Blaster 2 Coil, & MSD Dizzy. Today when I turned my ignition on (switched) the light signaled the box had power. When I went to crank the car I had no light (on the box) to simulate spark. So I fiddled with the box itself and the wires, just tried to jostle something. Then I removed the Main Coil Wire that goes from the Coil to the Dizzy. Fiddled with it and re-installed. She fired right up. I'd like to think it was just my Coil failing, nobody likes an intermittent ignition problem.

With that said, I'm sure I will need to upgrade the Ignition System when the new motor and all of it's glorified power is installed. What are you guys running? I've only had one MSD box go bad on me since I've owned the Foxes (3-4 years) but I've always heard horror stories about MSD. Is this the time to make a switch, is it necessary, am I caught up in the few bad reviews?

• Sponsors (?)

Remove the MSD distributor and box and your problems will be solved, The stock Ford ignition is all you need unless you run a power adder and then I would run a Crane Box with the stock ford distributor. Rock auto sells the FOMOCO distributor (I believe branded under Cardone).

MSD= My Spark Died

Reactions: 1 user
Remove the MSD distributor and box and your problems will be solved, The stock Ford ignition is all you need unless you run a power adder and then I would run a Crane Box with the stock ford distributor. Rock auto sells the FOMOCO distributor (I believe branded under Cardone).

MSD= My Spark Died
True!
Mine makes nearly 500 to the tires with the stock dizzy and no added boxes.

Reactions: 1 user
I think half of MSD's bad reputation is from knock offs. It stinks to be popular when there is money to be made in Asia. The other half could be intended use, max output vs. 100k mile reliability are at odds for many parts when you figure in cost.
Good luck with Crane or Accel. The cost vs performance vs. durability conflict is even worse with their parts.