New In New Orleans

Hey all
I am a Marine and (new to me) Mustang GT owner from New Orleans. I have had a 89 Ford Ranger GT (lost in Hurricane Katrina), a 1988 Honda Hawk GT(built from the frame up after Katrina) , and now a 1996 Ford Mustang GT 4.6l with only 96k on the dash. I am what they call a tinkerer and I love to take apart and rebuild things. That ranges from computers, phones, tv's, motorcycles eh you get the point. Anyways. I don't think you all will believe me when I say i got a steal for this Mustang GT. But everything comes with a price...

First off, I got it for the price of an iPhone. I was initially supposed to pay 500 but I paid $240 as a downpayment. I was to pay him the remainder the next week but I had to do some research before buying this car. I called a couple police buddies and also the DMV to find out if it was stolen and what was the title status and got the all good. When I called him he said that he had gotten what he wanted and to come get the car.

Next thing is... when we got there he told us that we would need to tow it so i called a tow company. It was only about a mile from where I lived so no biggie. A $65 haul. He also said that he had removed Cams from the car before we got there and some other parts as well. Problem is, doesn't seems like anything was done to the engine at all other then the oil change. I laughed but for this price I wasn't going to say a thing. He'd lost the keys. Ugh! That's gonna be a pain but it wasn't going to deter me. I figured based on the research I had done that there wasn't a PATS on this car. Whoops! I was wrong. This is still part of the issue I am facing now actually. No Transponder Key!!!

Well there was also some info he gave me. He said that he was driving it (racing actually) when he ran out of oil and it started running badly. That's when he parked it and decided that he was going to rid himself of the car. Well I figured that if that was true i'd be in for an engine replacement or rebuild. first thing I did was pull the plug to see if there were any shavings etc in the oil. I almost cried when I saw practically brand new oil coming from the pan and no shavings. Then I saw the 5 Minute oil change sticker and it said that the oil had been changed 59 miles before the mileage I saw on the car. Of course I called him and asked him if he'd put new oil in after he thought it was out and his answer was no. So... it wasn't the oil. Checked plugs and wires... They haven't been changed in a long time if at all! There was a huge build up of carbon and some plugs were burned out plus from what I see one hell of a coolant issue at the back of the engine probably the manifold Part of the issue and maybe the entire reason it was running like crap according to him. Well I have some plans but this one is gonna be a whole bunch of work. Anyways, I know these aren't too popular but I am considering a 5.4l engine swap. A family member has one with 36k that he's been holding and i can pull it from him for about 210.

Attachments

• IMG_1486.jpg
    IMG_1486.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_1487.jpg
    IMG_1487.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_1488.jpg
    IMG_1488.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_1516.jpg
    IMG_1516.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_1517.jpg
    IMG_1517.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 111
  • Sponsors (?)

Welcome! If you are planning on doing the swap and the body is in good shape, I would say you got a good deal. Otherwise you may have your work cut out for you...seems like there is a lot of uncertainty. Regardless, you can put up your own build thread once you've got some traction. I'm looking forward to see what you end up doing.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Welcome! If you are planning on doing the swap and the body is in good shape, I would say you got a good deal. Otherwise you may have your work cut out for you...seems like there is a lot of uncertainty. Regardless, you can put up your own build thread once you've got some traction. I'm looking forward to see what you end up doing.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Thanks. The body's decent a few dents , the interior has been beat up front seat and center console-wise, the electrical's good aside from their mess with wiring the radio. I do have to get a new front bumper but my plan was to change that anyway, coolant rersevior, and of course the key done. and hell for 210 why not try it. I heard the gains are minimal as far as HP but 34 or 36k on the 5.4 versus 96k on the 4.6 it seems okay with me.

Last edited:
Welcome to the site!

It sounds like you've got a big project ahead of you!

If you ever need anything, such as the forum discount code, feel free to shoot me a PM, and I'll be happy to help you!

In the meantime, you are more than welcome to browse our website for all of your Mustang parts, and needs!

https://lmr.com/1994-04-Mustang

how do you run a car out of oil?? What an idiot

I know. I figured maybe it was burning oil or something wasn't done right. LOL but he also didn't know that he had PATS so when the key broke he got mad and threw the part that had the chip, he also let someone mangle the wiring so that he could install a 50 dollar Sony in dash radio and also "had cams installed but took them out before I came to pick up the car". There's many questions i've asked him that had me wondering...WT... He sold it to me with 4 brand new Pirelli tires (which a buddy of mine needed tires badly so I let him borrow the two on front never to be seen again) and I dunno about you but if I was supposed to get 500 for it and someone paid me about half already and it was enough to get what I wanted (though i'd much rather drive then have a smart phone and bum for rides) I'd still take the other half of the money. But he did "beat a Trans Am" before the car started running bad which caused him to get rid of it.... Now you see why I had to make sure it wasn't stolen.

well, whats the condition of the enine at this point? is it torn down or intact?
Mostly intact. The former "friend" that was helping me while I was busy at work a while ago was supposed to be doing some work for me (big mistake) took some things apart and broke the coolant overflow tank and headlight header panel, but i've put most back before I had to move and didn't want to lose anything while towing it. I have to get another key made. I have one that turns the ignition but it doesn't have a transponder so no start. I have someone that will make one for me unless I can bypass or disable PATS. Since starting the new job and moving... After this has sat up for about 9 months I can finally do the work myself and will be happy to do so.

Attachments

• IMG_1516.jpg
    IMG_1516.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 110