new kenwood install question. volt regulator or not?

I've tried to do my research but I'm still a little hazy. Just ordered a Kenwood kiv-700 and the correct wiring harness to put it in my 06 gt with shaker 500. I obviously do not want the stereo to pop every time i turn it on/off so i've been told I need to wire a regulator in (only a few bucks). I'm fairly sure I do not need to do this since I'm getting a harness to adapt it to the stock harness, but just trying to make sure.

any advice from you guys that know more about audio than me??

PS if anyone is looking to replace their shaker 500 unit I'm wanting to sell mine so let me know.

• Sponsors (?)

so I got everything today, havn't started the install yet, unfortuantely it's dark when i get done with work and live at an apartment with no lighting so I'll probably have to wait till the weekend. but I was under the impression the harness would be a direct connect with no need for soldering. it does have the connections to plug in like expected but there are a bunch of wires that need to be connected. Now i'm a little nervous about the install, i am capable of soldering but i don't want to go chopping up my wires unless i know what to connect everything to. any ideas what all the extra wires are? i'm using a pac 127c2r-frd1 from crutchfield to install a kenwood kiv-700 to my stock shaker 500 system

I'm posting from my phone so I can't add diagrams or pictures, but yes, there will be several unused wires. On the car harness side you won't use the + Illum and - Illum or the speed sense wires and possibly others. There are probably also wires on the radios harness that won't be used...depending on the application there are a couple of signals that you may need to get from the smart junction box. I will post more info when I get on a computer. It looks intimidating with so many wires, but it's really not bad at all.

thanks for your help, I did get it all hooked up and it's amazing. I planned on replacing the speakers in a little bit but they are actually really crisp now with this head unit. I didn't think replacing the headunit alone would be such a dramitic increase in sound quality but the stock shaker speakers sound really nice now (about as good as my old alpine headunit and amp with clairion componet speakers and a bazooka tube in my old f150 king ranch, not as much base in the mustang but about as crisp)

Thanks again for the help