New Key Fob?

• Sponsors (?)

How many keys do you have???

If you have 2 keys currently, it should be $20-$40
But if you only have 1 key currently expect up to $75 intial price and $20 for any after that.

They need to Original key to program the new one. But if you only have 1 they reprogram teh car, and all keys.

I only have 1 key. So if I buy it off ebay I still have to go to ford to reprogram it? I wanted to get an extra key and 2 fobs, do you think it's better to just go to a ford dealer?

Yeah you might as well hit up the dealer, it isn't the cost of the key they get you for...so buying on ebay wont save you anything.
You can actually buy the keys at most hardware stores and have them cut and programmed for $20ish (i worked at true value and did this).
but the dealer will have to reprogram everything if you only have the one key.

I only have 1 key. So if I buy it off ebay I still have to go to ford to reprogram it? I wanted to get an extra key and 2 fobs, do you think it's better to just go to a ford dealer?

Since you don't have two keys. I'd just price out getting the key from them and bringing one. They might be a little inclined to cut you a deal on a key if you're having them program it. It sucks because if you've got two you could buy one of EGay and do it yourself.

Well i bought a new key off EBay since it was only 10 dollars - can I just have them program the 2 keys and program the fobs myself?

The FOBS online say they come with simple instructions to reprogram them.

Anyone have a ballpark figure of what it will cost to re-program 2 Ford keys?

Two keys are needed otherwise the dealer is the only one capable and they will charge you for it.

That's not necessarily so. When I bought my car the dealer only gave me one key but they did give me two fobs. I went to a local locksmith bought the correct blank had it programmed and got a regular key just in case at some point I lock myself out of my car. He took his handheld computer gizmo out to the car and in about 10 minutes it was all done. At the dealership it was explained that I would've had to pay for one hour of labor and the marked up cost of the blank. I believe I paid between 60-65 dollars.

These key fobs you all are talking about are the keys with the remote built right on the key right?:shrug:

When I bought my '06 GT I only got regular keys. Is there anyway I could get the key with remote on the key? I never had the key with remote built on it.

What does the FOB letters mean?:stupid: I am new to this and not really sure.
I know it may sound dumb to some or most of you but never looked into any of this.

by fob they are referring to the transmitter with the lock, unlock, trunk open and panic buttons. the 05-09 mustangs do not come with the IKT (Integrated Key Transmitter) from the factory. I know they will program to the vehicle, as cars with teh IKT can use the jewel style key, however i dont know if it will fit in the lock cylinder, as there might be ears.

Anywhere you go your probably going to have to still go to the dealer. The keys have a chip in them and just to get them programmed at the dealer it is 100 dollars (1 hour of labor). Now you can probably just get the part that is to unlock the car and lock it and alarm, t least on mine thats all it came with, and they may be able to program just the remote. But my car only came with one of each because I bought it used. And they were going to charge me another 100 just for another key.