New life to some old Pony rims (pics)

I bought a used set of these at the beginning of summer for $200 with plans to put drag radials on two and sell the other two. Then I got on this black rim/polished lip kick and decided to try it out. Two of the tires they came with have about 60% tread and were 215's - so they made good fronts. Backs are M/T 255/50/16 drag radials. The rims were fully prepped and base/cleared (shot clear over the lip too).

pic.php

pic.php

pic.php

Opinions?

• Sponsors (?)

I bought a used set of these at the beginning of summer for $200 with plans to put drag radials on two and sell the other two. Then I got on this black rim/polished lip kick and decided to try it out. Two of the tires they came with have about 60% tread and were 215's - so they made good fronts. Backs are M/T 255/50/16 drag radials. The rims were fully prepped and base/cleared (shot clear over the lip too).

pic.php

pic.php

pic.php

Opinions?

You bastard you have my hood scoop haha:D I like them. Good work. I'd ditch the mud flaps though but i'm sure those tires throw rocks like crazy hu? Good work though

Those look fantastic....what did you use to polish the lip? I have Ponys on my coupe right now and they need fresh paint...i'm thinking about staying with a silver color but i want the lip polished/machined looking.

LIP POLISHING 101:

It's much easier to do this with tires off, but I did two of them tires on (the fronts) and it came out just as good, only took a little longer. Use an air angle die grinder with medium grit 2" scuff pad to remove paint and casting marks in the aluminum. Go at the small outer most lip first, then get the flat area that's about 1/2" wide last. Otherwise, you'll be bumping the flat area and you'll have to re-do it. Repeat with a fine grit scuff pad.

Now, to get that nice machined look, take a green scotch scuff pad and start going around the lip a couple inches at a time to blend out all the lines left from the angle grinder. After about 20 minutes they'll all go away. I don't think you can take too long doing this step.

Scuff the centers with 500 grit wet and follow with the green pad again. Use some pinstriping tape to tape off the polished lip before painting so there's a nice, crisp edge. I suggest stripping that and clearing the whole rim, but if you would happen to knick it, you're stuck trying to repair clear too.

Overall, I spent 10 hours polishing and prepping for paint, and then another 4 hours masking, spraying, and cleaning up.

Here's the only close-up I have, it was after I cleared them:

pic.php