New Manifold

RUSTYNUT

Mar 22, 2007
PDX
I had been toying with the Idea of Making a 331 boss engine. The main obstruction has been the expensive intake and large ports of of 4bbl. heads for street use. A couple of days ago I asked Edelbrock if they ever thought of making a manifold that would use their cleveland heads [2bbl. port size ] on a 5.0 block. Today they just emailed that they have a new manifold #7129 that will do just that. It's not on Edelbrocks web sight yet. Just for kicks checked out Summit and had listing and price with no description or picture. Price 319.99 availible 11/22. Should be fun to have some thing differant under the hood. Thanks Edelbrock.

• Sponsors (?)

That Edelbrock intake has been out for a while, I'm surprised it's not easy to get. CHI also makes Clevor intakes, theirs have been out for a while and should be easy to get FWIW.

What heads are you using? If I had the $$, no question, I'd be using the CHI heads :D

i've seen the CHI and E'brock clevor intakes for the 351-W but have yet to find them for the 5.0. B&A were the only ones i knew of making them and supposedly he still has a bunch of them laying around. he just doesn't advertise anymore so no one ever knows where to contact him.

Update boss 302

Tried to get more details on the new manifold. The only thing they told me is they are up dating their web sight and should be on it in a few days. The part for me about this new manifold is it is for small port heads and maybe they will make it with enough meat to open up to large ports. For once in thirty years a readily availible manifold for this engine and no need to find rare originals to fill with epoxy.

That Edelbrock intake has been out for a while, I'm surprised it's not easy to get. CHI also makes Clevor intakes, theirs have been out for a while and should be easy to get FWIW.

What heads are you using? If I had the $$, no question, I'd be using the CHI heads :D

I don't know how you heard of this manifold. It's not on the web sight and haven't even seen it in any of the car rags. To find it on Summit had to search with part # 7129 that was emailed to me. I agree on the CHI heads. I'm hoping this manifold is similar to the stock boss 302, and will probably use aussie heads that on a 331 ci engine will still flow more air than I could want for the street. The one price is no object part may be the new ford block. For what you get for the money seems like a bargain.

Tried to get more details on the new manifold. The only thing they told me is they are up dating their web sight and should be on it in a few days. The part for me about this new manifold is it is for small port heads and maybe they will make it with enough meat to open up to large ports. For once in thirty years a readily availible manifold for this engine and no need to find rare originals to fill with epoxy.

for around 20 years or so there has been the B&A Street Boss or Track Boss for both the 302 and 351 engines, they used to be more readily available than they are now but they are still out there and are still being produced, he has a run made every so often so he doesn't run out of them. so there is, and even was, no no need to stuff the ports on a stock Boss intake.

B&A stopped producing for a long time.
I heard rumours that someone purchased the design to start remaking them, but haven't followed up.

Any version of the 4 B&A Clevor intakes that pop up on eBay every so often bring $400+ in bidding.
So either they aren't being repopped yet, or a whole heck of alot of people aren't aware. The old crusty ones on eBay wouldn't be bringing that kinda dough otherwise.

I can't believe what stock Boss 302 intakes are bringing either.
I remember when you couldn't hardly sell them for $100!
I have had several... My uncle has one that hasn't been on an engine since the early 70s. I traded it to him for a 3.40 8" chunk in the 80s.

B&A stopped producing for a long time.
I heard rumours that someone purchased the design to start remaking them, but haven't followed up.

Any version of the 4 B&A Clevor intakes that pop up on eBay every so often bring $400+ in bidding.
So either they aren't being repopped yet, or a whole heck of alot of people aren't aware. The old crusty ones on eBay wouldn't be bringing that kinda dough otherwise.

I can't believe what stock Boss 302 intakes are bringing either.
I remember when you couldn't hardly sell them for $100!
I have had several... My uncle has one that hasn't been on an engine since the early 70s. I traded it to him for a 3.40 8" chunk in the 80s.

maybe i got it backwards, maybe it was originally B&A and is now Bush performance. i saw a post on here (i think it was here) a while back that said someone had been in contact with the guy that bought the original company and that he was still making them and still had a bunch of them.

maybe i got it backwards, maybe it was originally B&A and is now Bush performance. i saw a post on here (i think it was here) a while back that said someone had been in contact with the guy that bought the original company and that he was still making them and still had a bunch of them.

That's awesome!
I believe this is the 'rumor' I heard.
I hope they are making them.

If so, they need to advertise.
It is clear from what folks are paying for the old stuff, that no one is aware!;)

That's awesome!
I believe this is the 'rumor' I heard.
I hope they are making them.

If so, they need to advertise.
It is clear from what folks are paying for the old stuff, that no one is aware!;)

i did have it backwards, B&A was the original company and Bush performance bought them out, the he shut down his business in arkansas and moved, to where i don't know. it may have been on the VMF where i read this. maybe do a search there, i'll try one later but i have to get back to real life now and get my daughter from school, help her with homework and the start dinner, i have becaome Mr. Mom....ahhhhh

for around 20 years or so there has been the B&A Street Boss or Track Boss for both the 302 and 351 engines, they used to be more readily available than they are now but they are still out there and are still being produced, he has a run made every so often so he doesn't run out of them. so there is, and even was, no no need to stuff the ports on a stock Boss intake.

I read in one of the car rags a few months ago that the track boss has been out production for quite some time. If you contact the guys selling Cleavor engines they don't sell intakes and tell you about adapters, shop on ebay etc. I think if some one had a supply of these they would be selling them. At least know who to have you call. Any track boss manifolds I have seen are single plane high rise things that probably aren't that great for street cars, not to mention expensive. The good part now is we have the biggest manufacture making these availible and who cares if some guy runs a few dozen off ever ten years or so then doesn't tell any body.

I read in one of the car rags a few months ago that the track boss has been out production for quite some time. If you contact the guys selling Cleavor engines they don't sell intakes and tell you about adapters, shop on ebay etc. I think if some one had a supply of these they would be selling them. At least know who to have you call. Any track boss manifolds I have seen are single plane high rise things that probably aren't that great for street cars, not to mention expensive. The good part now is we have the biggest manufacture making these availible and who cares if some guy runs a few dozen off ever ten years or so then doesn't tell any body.

there were 4 versions of the intake, 2 for the 302 and 2 for the 351w. there were also 2 different designs for the intake a single plane and a dual plane. the single plane was the Track Boss and the dual plane was the Street Boss.

also Edelbrock is only producing the dual plane versions and i know Dave is a fan of the single plane intakes, so i'm sure it matters to him that he might be able to get a new intake from Bush, also some people just like the nostalgia of the old school intakes

Any track boss manifolds I have seen are single plane high rise things that probably aren't that great for street cars...

They made 4 versions:
Track Boss 302
Track Boss 351w
Street Boss 302
Street Boss 351w

The Track versions were both high rise single planes, and the Streets were low rise dual planes. They all had generous 2v Cleveland ports at the heads, with enough meat to modify them to 4v size.

Attachments

• c2_1.jpg
    c2_1.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 129
  • 7c2c_12.jpg
    7c2c_12.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 88
hopefully they'll come out with a fuel injection manifold too. it'd be nice to have say a GT-40 style upper intake and an E-Boss lower to match. the maybe, just maybe i'd build my 69 Boss 302 Eliminator clone otherwise it will a "faux-totype" 69 XR7-GT "phantom" clone.

That Edelbrock Clevor intake looks sweet.

The intake port on the CHI 3V head has the intake port raised to the top of the 4V port location, so it probably wouldn't mate up to the old Track/Street Boss or new Edelbrock intakes without some work (they are in the stock 2V location near the bottom of a 4V port). A stock Boss 302 intake will cover it, but there would be a pretty good mismatch that would probably really hurt airflow unless you built it up with epoxy. The exhaust is only raised a 1/4" IIRC, so that wouldn't be a problem.

As far as I can tell the only intake available for the CHI 3V head is the giant single 4BBL also from CHI for both 302 and 351W deck heights. Now if Edelbrock would cast a streetable intake for the CHI head, that would really be great... OK just dreaming here.