New Member Just Saying Hi

88droptop5.0

Mar 4, 2015
NEPA
Hello to all the forum members, I recently picked up a 88 5.0 GT 5 speed convertible. I had a 88 Lx 5.0 in high school, dam that was a while ago lol. I picked up the car for fairly cheep (1K) but she needs some love. The top is in good shape and works descent . She needs some body work, but not much and I want to have the under looked at for anything that may or may not need attention. Its got BBK lowering springs, BBK headers, BBK adjustable clutch cable, MSD cap and coil, and a few other items that I haven't yet verified. I just ordered a Explorer GT40 intake upper and lower and am planning on the install this weekend.
The car runs ok, but she has a surging idle from time to time. It will fire right up and idle smooth them when it feels like it it just starts surging and sometimes will die. I will address this when I tear the upper and lower off to do my Explorer intake mod.
Thanks for taking the time to read my 1st thread on the forum...
Come on spring..., winter is getting old.

• Sponsors (?)

Surging Idle sounds like a vacuum problem to me. Since you're installing new intake and whatnot, It may solve that problem in the process. No need to diagnose it if you're gonna be swapping parts out. Good luck with your build and have fun!

thanks for the replies,I look forward to building this car. I am doing a new upper and lower intake and plan on replacing all of the vacuum lines in the process. I will report back if I still have a surging idle, and I'll take a look at that link.

Welcome to the forum! If you need anything such as the forum discount code PM me! Here are some parts that should help you get that 88 to your liking. 5.0Resto Mustang Parts
Thanks, I appreciate that. now I'm fighting another monster, I open up another thread about my computer that I might have fried.car still runs but it runs very very rough, I tried to pull some codes out of it and actually jump to the wrong where I think. none the less I can't get any codes out of it with my code scanner.