New Member Not Sure If Mustang Is Right For Me...

shahram72

Sep 6, 2015
OK going to try this one more time and then I'm off to find a different forum. Made two posts, not showing up. Maybe they need moderator approval? Even PM'ed a mod, still nothing. Anyone see this post? I went and sat in a Mustang V6 at the dealer today, the V6 is more sports car than I have ever owned. I have a story to tell, but will wait to see if anyone can see my post first.

• Sponsors (?)

Well I have been exploring new cars. No definite plans, just exploring. My first car was a Datsun 280Z and my second was a base Dodge Stealth, so I have always liked sporty cars. A pickup truck and a couple sedans later, fast forward to now. My current car is a 2005 Acura RL which I really like, but it's old now and I am worried about future repairs, plus I bought it used and it was a northern car so it has rust and that kinda kills my enthusiasm for the car. It still drives great and has a stereo with surround sound that I don't think I could replicate on a new car, not even a new Acura since surround music (DVD-A and DTS CD) have gone with way of the dodo bird. For a sports sedan it's quite capable, with SH-AWD. The computers do it all. You can chill and drive or even hold off an S2000 in the mountains (almost). You can put it hard into a corner and then add throttle and normally you have to add steering as well. Not this car. The computers adjust torque to the outer wheels to maintain the rate of yaw. You just point and shoot. Not to mention the comfort and space for my family, I just wish it were in better shape, and After buying my last 2 cars used, I am thinking new this time. I tell you all this about my car to explain this... Everything I drive in my price range just falls short. We just bought a new CRV for my wife which is a fine small car, but I get in it and it's like, what the hell is all this noise and why does my ass hurt!!?? So I was considering lots of cars like Accord, Mazda 6, and some others but nothing is making me get off my wallet and I am left thinking that they won't measure up and be a disappointment. So this brings me to the Mustang. With the new 2015, the V6 gets my attention with the new independent rear suspension (I'm used to IRS), and heck, the power is better than V8 mustangs of not long ago. Plus honestly, the V8 is over my budget. Now the Mustang is totally impractical and I might be about to squeeze the kids in the back but my boy will be tall in a very few years. But the Mustang is a car that makes me say wow! I followed one home on the highway tonight and it's just beautiful. Looks exotic almost. I DO have the CRV so I can still get the family around. But I keep cars a long time. To compare the Mustang to those brands that are known for longevity is not fair and apples to oranges I know, but I have seen and owned a Ford that was quite good, until 130K, but that's another story. I guess I'm trying to talk myself into it. The other problem I have is a semi steep driveway, this car with that front airdam looks really low, and the way it's on there looks like a moderate hit will rip it and all the clips off, ruining the bumper cover.

Now here's what I want. The V6 in silver no options except auto. I want stick, but have to able to swap cars with the wife and most of the time I will like the auto better. The stock wheels are ugly, the foundry wheels don't do it for me. I hate the lip spoiler, car looks good both with fogs or without, and power seats are not a must. Now on ebay there are lots of replica wheels including awesome looking black GT performance package look wheels in 18" non staggered for like $600. 19's are no go for me, price jumps and life dumps. I eliminated the Accord Sport cause now they went to 19" wheels!

I did go sit in one this weekend but it was a GT with leather. It was comfortable. Wish I could have spent a little more time with it but I didn't want to bother the sales guy for more than a few minutes. How I wish I could rent one for a day...

Sorry my post was so long... I forgot to add, I feel like this is the last chance in my life to own something really cool, it's now or never. Now I would rather wait a year, but I am hearing Ford might drop the V6 and there's no way I would get the Ecoboost. I just don't believe the longevity will be there and for more money? I'll bet that motor costs the same to make. The value of the V6 is phenomenal compared to other sport coupes. Heck, it bases the same as my new CRV LX and it has SO MUCH MORE on it! Man that CRV is overpriced!

It sounds as if you have talked yourself into getting the Mustang! I think you would be surprised if you took a test drive of the Mustang Ecoboost. They are becoming very popular.

Those wheels will fit the 2015 V6. Our shop car has the performance package wheels from the factory and it looks fantastic. We have had quite a few new 2015 Mustangs come by the shop and everyone loves the way it handles.

I had a customer stop by for installation of a new Airaid enclosed cold air intake in his V6 and it looked awesome.

If you have any other questions let me know!

Oh yeah, I have! The kid in me says yes but the adult in me says no. The kid wins quite often, I have a ton of RC models in my garage. Now I need to add the Vaterra 2015 Mustang GT to my collection! There goes another $250! But seriously, it's stuff like that that has killed my car budget. I make quite enough and my house payment is about what you guys pay on a GT, but still I have been going over my budget to find lost money. Have already found $350/mo in waste! I'm getting there. Might still end up in a 4cyl Accord, but I am trying.... Home from work today so we're going to lunch and I'm gonna try to sneak her by the Ford dealer to sit in one. Hey, it worked when I wanted a Jet Ski 20 years ago! Here is the link to the Vaterra Mustang I mentioned. How can you guys resist not owning one. They also have an old Mustang. In the past, I would have ordered this little 1/10 RC Mustang no sweat, but I'm trying to stop wasting money.

2015 Ford Mustang V100-S 1/10th 4wd RTR (VTR03054): Vaterra

Oh yeah, I have! The kid in me says yes but the adult in me says no. The kid wins quite often, I have a ton of RC models in my garage. Now I need to add the Vaterra 2015 Mustang GT to my collection! There goes another $250! But seriously, it's stuff like that that has killed my car budget. I make quite enough and my house payment is about what you guys pay on a GT, but still I have been going over my budget to find lost money. Have already found $350/mo in waste! I'm getting there. Might still end up in a 4cyl Accord, but I am trying.... Home from work today so we're going to lunch and I'm gonna try to sneak her by the Ford dealer to sit in one. Hey, it worked when I wanted a Jet Ski 20 years ago! Here is the link to the Vaterra Mustang I mentioned. How can you guys resist not owning one. They also have an old Mustang. In the past, I would have ordered this little 1/10 RC Mustang no sweat, but I'm trying to stop wasting money.

2015 Ford Mustang V100-S 1/10th 4wd RTR (VTR03054): Vaterra

I'll tell ya man. If the struggle is payments, it's definitely worth looking into newly used. Carmax and whatever else they're called. I would bet you that they even have 2015s by now. My next purchase? (shhhh don't tell the Fox guys) is going to be an S197 vert in the dark metallic red. Preferably a GTCS. It'll me momma's toy. My wife can't tell you what once Mustang is from another. She knows it's a Mustang and she knows it's the one she likes the most. She picks them out every time she sees one. hehe

Just got back from lunch. As if you care, we went to a real ramen house for the first time so that was fun and primed the wife very well. Then I just queitly drove to the Ford dealer and they had a white V6 with the Foundry package and a stick. We both sat in it, the sales guy brought it around. He didn't offer a test drive and I didn't ask, but he was happy to show us the entire car. I definitely like silver and my wife liked metallic red. The foundry wheels are starting to grow on me but I do NOT like the spoiler for sure. I think it's down to a base with auto, that's it. The car feels good and comfortable inside, I really got to spend some time with it this time. And I think the wife likes it too now. I got her to sit in it since she will drive it too when I borrow the CRV. She liked it but the long hood was different from the high up short hood she is used to. But she's never dinged up a car of mine before.

Guys, I really want one now. As for used, If I can do it, used will not be much help. I am making payments right now on my Acura RL and the CRV. Acura has 5 payments left at $335/month and CRV has 3 years left at $391/mo. I don't want to get into more personal details of what I make and expenses but something is wrong, I should be able to do it. I can wait till next year, would rather have a '16 anyway. Always better to not have the first model year (like our '15 CRV with first model year Earth Dreams engine and CVT that vibrates). But something is wrong with my finances and I have to find the hemorrhaging. My house payment is only $628/month and that ENDS in 4 years. We are not upgrading the house, it's a 4 bedroom 2 story in a nice neighborhood and great school district. I'm still not saying what I make, but I am a UPS driver, so we all make the same union pay, which is pretty high. So I don't understand why it's a problem. Maybe I'm just cheap...

Man, my Acura buddies online are mad that I'm considering a Mustang. They think I should spend thousands fixing the rust and timing belt, tires, and other on an 11 year old car like it'll be right as rain after that. If it did not have the rust, I would just stay with it, it's a great car. Or they say that at least the V8, the V6 is not worth considering, even though it will smoke the RL even with the V6, not that THAT is the deciding factor. Tomorrow I will look at my driveway and see how much concrete it will take to fill the curb, then I will bring one home to test. The dealer called me today to tell me again to come get one and try. I told them I am going to fix my driveway curb first before I waste their time and car. Any car I own will benefit from the fixed curb. WTH? In Florida, we cut curbs to let the cars have a smooth roll-in. Here in SC, it's just stupid. The curb is my first step in getting a Mustang.

Man, my Acura buddies online are mad that I'm considering a Mustang. They think I should spend thousands fixing the rust and timing belt, tires, and other on an 11 year old car like it'll be right as rain after that. If it did not have the rust, I would just stay with it, it's a great car. Or they say that at least the V8, the V6 is not worth considering, even though it will smoke the RL even with the V6, not that THAT is the deciding factor. Tomorrow I will look at my driveway and see how much concrete it will take to fill the curb, then I will bring one home to test. The dealer called me today to tell me again to come get one and try. I told them I am going to fix my driveway curb first before I waste their time and car. Any car I own will benefit from the fixed curb. WTH? In Florida, we cut curbs to let the cars have a smooth roll-in. Here in SC, it's just stupid. The curb is my first step in getting a Mustang.
They aren't angry, they're jealous. V8, or no V8, the S550 Mustang is light years ahead of all your buddies Accura's....hands down, no ifs ands or buts about it!

They aren't angry, they're jealous. V8, or no V8, the S550 Mustang is light years ahead of all your buddies Accura's....hands down, no ifs ands or buts about it!

Easy there... I'm a Honda fanboy as well as a Mustang fan! They're apples to starfruit! The Acura has so much on it that makes it what it is. In 2005 it had stuff that the Mustang has just now! When I got it I thought I bought a gussied up Accord. Took it to my mechanic and when he jacked it up, wow! Aluminum everywhere, carbon fiber driveshaft. It's an amazing car. Problem is, all that amazing is getting old now, and repairs will break me and cost as much as payments, and the rust, well it just makes it all not worth it. Like the previous poster said, unless you get it all, it will come back. It's a northern car that was neglected, it's done.

To be honest, I am feeling bad about losing the Acura. Only had it 3.5 years, very short time, never had a car less than 7 years. But they're not jealous. It's a labor of love to take care of and maintain the king car of any marque. I'm not a car snob. I love all cars. If you are proud of it and take care of it, then I like it too, even if it's not for me. I'm not here for a Mustang because I think its better than this or that, it's how I feel about it. I'm thinking I need to move this up before I have to spend any more on my Acura. Is Thanksgiving and Christmas a slow time for car dealers? I guess it doesn't matter. I'm ordering exactly a silver with auto so will have to wait and will negotiate without the car present. How about the X-plan? I work for UPS so I qualify. But it's not much of a discount. How much off can I get?

Right now I am going outside to take pics and measurements of my driveway. That's the first step. Will create a new thread for this because I didn't find much and I'm sure people will reference it for years to come when considering the S550.

OK, pics done. My thread is over here, Help Me Fix My Steep Driveway/curb So I Can Get An S550 | Mustang Forums at StangNet I would appreciate if any of you guys would go look and tell me what you think. This is the deciding factor right now. And here is a pic of my current ride. Will be sad to see her go. Maybe I can sell it.
20150912_111807.jpg

The Acura bloodline is an econo-box large enough to accept child seats. They didn't sell so someone was smart enough to start building some performance into them.

The Mustang bloodline was a secretary's car. Trouble is, someone decided to turn a few out with real motors. The pony car was born.

The crux of all that useless info? None of it makes a damned bit of difference. :shrug:

Buy your car for it's purpose. If we're talking about any real kind of performance PLUS a factory warranty. then well... Things just are what they are.

I'll tell you right now though, you'll kick yourself in the nuts if you buy anything less than a V8.

Not if I can't afford it. A GT is $33K. Just too much. So should I get a V6 Mustang or a 4cyl accord? They're about the same price. The Accord is lot more useful and probably will cost less over it's life. Nah, I think the V6 will do. If I had the money, no question, V8 all the way.

If you plan on buying it and leaving it stock, go ahead and get the V6 and learn to live with the performance.

If you plan on modding it....don't piss around with the 6-banger. Go straight of the GT and know you made the right decision. The cost of the bolt ons add up and you'll quickly see that for what you're spending on hop up goodies for the V6, you could have easily been able to afford the GT all along.

...and no amount of bolt on parts is gonna have a V6 running in GT territory. Not for anywhere close the difference in price.