new member! question?

sonicboom141

Jun 29, 2006
Hey guys, new member over here but have been a member on svtperformance for about 2 years. Anyways recently the 2005+ GT mustangs have really grabbed my attention, they are finally growing on me. I just have a few questions maybe you can help me out?
How does the 3v flow compared to the 4v? I have heard mixed reviews on it..

Is the shortblock of the 05+ mustangs weak past 450whp? I have seen some people say engines have been blowing past that mark, do people just upgrade internals?

Supercharing on stock block, is 450whp the limit like above? Has anyone modded past this amount of power, any links?

• Sponsors (?)

I have an 06 Mustang GT and my father in law has an 03 Cobra. I can tell you that the cobra has way more grunt and seat of your pants speed. However my car has a way better ride and is more comfortable. He actually prefers my car because he is such a fan of the new platform. My car is quick but it feels no where near as fast as the cobra. It really depends on what you want. If it is all out balls to the wall speed then the s/c cobra is your car, If you can sacrafice some speed and exclusive company of the SVT crowd then I think you would be happy with a new stang. Hope this helps.

Test #'s I've seen stock to stock, .500" valve lift,28" water - CFM:

3V 235 intake, 159 exhaust
99 Cobra 4V 243 intake, 169 exhaust.
PI 2V heads 170 intake, 150 exhaust.

So, although the 3V heads (stock to stock) aren't quite as good as the 4V, they are a huge improvement over the 2V heads and have only 3% less intake flow and 6% less exhaust flow than the 4V heads

Of course the FR-500 type 4V heads as used in the Ford GT and GT-500 flow a bit better than the 99 Cobra 4V heads.