new mid pipe

fastgtfairlane

Apr 7, 2006
just got my dr. gas o/r x pipe in the mail. headbang

the install wasnt very hard. only ****ty thing was doing it on the ground. it came in 5 pieces and may require a little bit of trimming to correctly fit. i had a jegs o/r x on the car. it scraped alot and have been wanting to put a dr. gas x on my car for some time now. finally got around to doing it. i had to cut about an inch off on the long pipe on the drivers side. it fits like a champ and hugs the floorboard much better than the old one. i temporarily used some clamps until i get it welded. its a tad quieter at idle, much quieter in the car and sounds rediculous from about 3k and up. the car also pulls harder. dont know how much power i may have picked up and dont really care. it feels stronger and smoother. the design is much different than the old one. i havent had a chance to make a good video clip of it but will try and get done asap. definitely worth the money 120%.

heres a few pics:

Attachments

• dr.gas1.jpg
    dr.gas1.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 80
  • dr.gas2.jpg
    dr.gas2.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 59
  • Sponsors (?)

Is there a big difference in sound in the upper r's?

Its interesting to see their design...yet longtubes dont have the cross over until where the jegs cross over is. I wonder if it'll help long tubes if you figure out a way to cross them over wayyy up front like the dr. gas design is :shrug:

Is there a big difference in sound in the upper r's?

Its interesting to see their design...yet longtubes dont have the cross over until where the jegs cross over is. I wonder if it'll help long tubes if you figure out a way to cross them over wayyy up front like the dr. gas design is :shrug:

yes i did, the overall sound is a bit different. the old x pipe sounded good too just the dr. gas sounds like a " tuned " sound. the inside of the car is quieter too. not much difference at idle and up to like 3500 rpm but after that it sounds like no other and you can totally hear it. it sounds similar to a nextel cup car at daytona. a high pitched scream.

the longtube setup is actually closer than mine is also. its also the shape of the cross over itself. dr. gas uses 2 80degree bends and the jegs isnt.

dr gas is the innovator , not the intimitator

this x pipe is designed for no smog so it didnt have the tube for the cats

yes i did, the overall sound is a bit different. the old x pipe sounded good too just the dr. gas sounds like a " tuned " sound. the inside of the car is quieter too. not much difference at idle and up to like 3500 rpm but after that it sounds like no other and you can totally hear it. it sounds similar to a nextel cup car at daytona. a high pitched scream.

the longtube setup is actually closer than mine is also. its also the shape of the cross over itself. dr. gas uses 2 80degree bends and the jegs isnt.

dr gas is the innovator , not the intimitator

this x pipe is designed for no smog so it didnt have the tube for the cats

That'd be imitator...they should be intimidating though :p

I have to disagree on the placement of the crossover on longtubes. From looking at your midpipe for shortys....the crossover is damn near where the collectors stop on long tubes. You are forced to have a crossover further back with long tubes.

bbk-15330.gif

long tube mid pipe
dr.gas3.gif

Shorty mid pipe
dr.gas2.gif

actually it is totally different even for the longtubes here is the pics of the 2.

dr gas x pipe for longtubes.
https://www.drgas.net/category.php?cid=9&catid=1

bbk x pipe for longtubes.

BBK: 1979-2009 Mustang Off Road Exhaust Mid X Pipes

There is a difference, my point was that long tubes dont allow for the crossover to be at the same spot. It is further back. And i wonder what would happen if yuo made a custom setup with it closer...if its even possible.

And bbk xpipes suck.

No doubt, dr. gas is a great pipe!

i dont think there is a way for the crossover to be any closer than where dr gas puts it. its still as close to the collectors as it can be. the collectors on longtubes come out to where the crossover on the shorty mid pipe is anyways. its before the crossmember on the shorty mid pipe. i kinda wish i had longtubes but i dont. the first time i ever heard the dr gas x was on a 99 cobra with bbk longtubes dr gas x and spintech prostreets. still one of the best stock mustangs ive ever heard.

you need to with the quickness its not hard at all. i couldnt wait a day when it came in the mail. i did mine in the garage on the ground with jackstands. you will need a 3/8 drive ratchet, bout 10in extension, swivel socket, 19mm deep well socket, either 13/16 or 7/8 for the 02 sensors, deep 9/16 and 9/16 open end wrench for the catback and a hacksaw to trim the pipe back if needed. take the old one off, and assemble the dr. gas unit piece by piece on the car. then drive the hell out of it and when you drive by people will stop what they are doing and look up as you cruise by.