New Motor, What Brand/Weight Oil?

i have a newly reman'ed motor that im getting ready to crank over this weekend (crossing my fingers). i was just wondering if any had any suggestions on the brand or wieght of oil to use in the break in. i use 20w/50 in the 2.3 i drive now, but that is only because of the 130k+ miles and the summer. is 20w/50 too thick for this fresh motor, especially because we are approaching the winter season. BTW i live in oregon if that matters at all. just want the best for my baby.

Thanx in advance for all your help. :flag:

• Sponsors (?)

I am personally just a strong believer in picking a good 10w30 (Castrol seems to be the favorite around here) and changing the oil frequently. I really dont think you can go wrong with that.

Some people around here like to use a 5w30 because it is supposed to be a little lighter than 10w30 so it allows your internal engine components to move freely with less resistance. But I think it is mostly a personal decision.

One thing that you are going to want to remember is that when you are starting a brand new (rebuilt) motor for the first time, that you are going to want to change the oil as soon as it gets up to operating temperature. No matter how hard you try you still can not get all the little microscopic metal shavings out of your motor once you have rebuilt it. So by putting in some fresh oil, running it up until operating temperature and then draining it, all the shavings should come out with the oil. Then you put in some more fresh oil and a new filter and away you go. I'm not really that great at explaining things, but hopefully you get the idea of what I mean.