New Mustang Owner

Hey guys, Im new to the mustang world in terms of owning a mustang. I am picking up a 1996 Cobra Mustang with 25,000 original miles on it for 11,000. I am very excited in getting it. I was just wondering what should be some of the first things to do to the car? It is completely stock the guy I am getting it from is selling it for his daughter. it is completely a virgin car. but anyway I live in Wichita Kansas and since the weather here is just retarded I was going to just save money and drive it stock for a while and then mod it come spring time. Any suggestions would be great
Thanks David

• Sponsors (?)

good deal. what color?
i dunno how strict they are over there with emissions but an off road (No Cats) X-pipe will give you decent gains and sound sickkk. Then see what you like at mustangexhaust.com and check out the combinations. Flowmasters, Bassani, Magnaflow and SLP are pretty popular. Definitly get a short shifter like steeda tri-ax or pro 5.0. with just those mods you should get used to the car and how it drives, being your first. do an intake maybe get it lowered. changing the ring and pinion is the best for the money. cobras need 4.10 or 4.30 to stay in the power band. you'll be very happy gettin 0-60 in the 4's after you get those installed. make sure everythings running right. pretty quick car with simple bolt-ons. enjoy!

Yeah its that maroonish red color and I want to get it lowered but im going to wait until winter is over. I was wondering what kind of power gain would I get if i upgraded the pulley system and would it be something to do before the exhaust and gears?

Well it depends on what you want to do. A pully set up will get you around 10-15hp but if you decide to supercharge it than it's pointless becaue you will have to put all the stock pullies back on. I would get a Andersen cold-air intake, definatly a shortthrow shifter Pro. 5.0 and an exhaust. I personally have a Bassani cat-back exhaust but I live in Cali. so yea the emission stuff sucks, but run some bassani headers, offroad xpipe, and some flowmaster or bassani mufflers and you'll be set. And ofcoarse some gearing, probably 3.73 or 4.10s depending on what kind of gas milage you are looking for. With the cold air intake and the bassani exhaust expect around 30-40hp gains and 20-30 tq. gains. And if you are looking to lower your car Eibach pro-kit is what I recommend, it makes the car sit lower and it looks aggressive driving down the street. Sounds like an awesome car I hope it all works out.