new paint

megan_92

Jun 6, 2005
Perkasie, PA
my car will be coming back from the shop in a week or so. it's black (attracts the sun and its gonna be all nice and new) so i don't want it sitting out in the sun. i'm moving within the next 3-4 months (and will have a 4 bay pole barn and a 2 bay garage attached to the house- enough room for my car to have garage space) but until then it will have to sit outside..

to get to the point - my question is, should i worry about it sitting outside. is it okay to put a car cover on fresh paint? should i bother spending $250 and get one of those tent type garages when it will just become obsolete after i move?

• Sponsors (?)

No...I heard direct sun is good. It bakes the paint and makes the solvents evaporate off the surface. I just finished painting my 91 with urethane single stage black in april and it still smelled solventy when it left the garage for the first time in June and sat in the sun. 2 days of sun-sitting later, the smell was gone. So let the sun bake it some

Dont wax it but if absolutely necessary, you can use hand glaze. It's wax for fresh paint jobs but frankly, I wouldnt risk it. Let it be a little dirty for 2-3 months then continue as before.

DONT TAKE IT TO THE CAR WASH!!! I learned that the hard way. Use light pressure water to wash it with a sponge.

Happy motoring.

Pete

Yeah the paint has to cure and breathe, so unless the guy sprays it wrong you won't have to worry about keeping it out of direct sunlight. Don't wash it for like 2 weeks after you get it back. I'm a detailer so if you need any tips on keeping the paint looking new or what products to use just ask. Whether I give you any answers or not is purely coincidental.

WhiteHeat306 said:
Yeah the paint has to cure and breathe, so unless the guy sprays it wrong you won't have to worry about keeping it out of direct sunlight. Don't wash it for like 2 weeks after you get it back. I'm a detailer so if you need any tips on keeping the paint looking new or what products to use just ask. Whether I give you any answers or not is purely coincidental.

Yo whiteheat what wax or polish do you like for a black car and what car wash do you like?