New Personal Best Fuel Mileage

FastDriver

My dad had a bra
SN Certified Technician
Sep 5, 2001
Fort Knox, KY
This was in my C5.

Trip was 278 miles from Brucken Germany (elevation ~350m) to Grafenwoehr, Germany(elevation: ~412m). I have not verified at the gas pump, yet. The spedometer is accurate to within 1kph using a GPS as a reference.

I generally kept the speed around 50 mph (80 kph), but it varied depending on traffic, hills, construction etc. Stayed between 40mph and 65mph and stopped 3 times during the trip. No drafting. Used the cruise control early on in the trip, but maybe 80 miles into it, I decided to go for fuel mileage and wanted to modulate throttle myself.

Previous best was 38.8 mpg as measured at the pump vs. the odometer. The driver's information center read something like 37mpg. That was on a 600mile trip from FL to OH.

Not a mustang, but maybe one day I'll have a .5 6th geared T56 or TR6060 in the fox and can shoot for 30+ with over 700 rwhp. It's really the gear ratio on this car that does on the work

Attachments

• 2012-08-27 00.10.55.jpg
    2012-08-27 00.10.55.jpg
    404.6 KB · Views: 119
  • Sponsors (?)

Following up on yesterday, I drove to the nearest US gas station, which was nearly 2 miles away through minor traffic and onto post. The DIC dropped from 39.6 to 39.2 mpg. When I filled up the tank, it took 27.99 liters or 7.394 gallons. Overall mileage: 279.5/7.394= 37.8 mpg.

Either way, I'm thrilled with the result. The DIC may not have been as far off as as the pump calculation would lead you to conclude. I didn't initially intend on going for mileage. So, I wasn't precise on the fuel level when I initially topped off. Usually, I will fill until the fuel level is at the bottom of the filler so I can visually confirm it is at the same level both before and after I drive. This time around, I don't know the exact level when I initially filled it, but was careful to top it off when I refilled to ensure I knew the mileage's worst case. It took a little over a liter extra between when it initially stopped and when I could confirm the topped off fuel level visually, meaning there was more fuel in the tank when I refilled than when I initially filled. If I used the 26.8L that the pump initially clicked off on, the fuel mileage calculation gives 39.4 mpg, which is slightly higher than the DIC reported. This shows that the DIC is pretty close, but even at worst case, 37.8 mpg for my low 13 second toy tickles me pink!

Chris