New Radiator for my II

Eos

Oh Heather Oh yeah... I want your pink taco
Jun 13, 2003
oklahoma
My II is in the shop getting a new radiator! They were going to charge 340 to rebuild mine! When a brand new one cost 240! My dad told me he gave them the "okay" to rebuild it because the shop said they couldn't find one. I was like "No way!" I told my dad where to find one online and it's being shipped to the shop. It's supposed to be there tomorrow. Drag strip this summer!! YAY!

• Sponsors (?)

My 2 chief complaints with the replacements are that the tanks are very thin, and the drainplug setup sucks (and it won't accept the OE petcock).

But, i do have 2 of them in use that seem to get the job done.

The new replacement radiators I've been getting have been pretty good. The HD units from Modine come with 3 rows of 1/2" cores. I took the factory 4 row '78 radiator out of my tunnel ram car and replaced it with one of these Modine units and it seems to cool better. The factory 4 row has quite a bit smaller cores (probably 3/8"). All the fittings and petcock seemd to fit the Modine just fine too. :nice:

It's critical in the car making power??? What are you talking about? Anyway I got the car back. It kept at a normal temp on the way home so I'm guessing it's going to be fine. lol

Eos said:
How many of you guys have fan shrouds on your mustangs?

I do I do !!!

Where did you find them and how much did you pay?

Paid about $3,800.

But then it came with a new II attached.

;)

Your II is a '74? That could be a problem. I havet seen your car, and sure havent measured it out, I have no way of knowing how many hoops the installer of the engine jumped through, or avoided jumping through, to put the engne and trans in a car that engine didn't come with.

Factory V8 installation put the engine offset ~ 1 1/8 inches to the right so you can't use a shroud that centers on the radiator. OTOH we don't know how the engines set in the car .....

I'm with Dano, I would go through yards till I found one that fit or could be made to fit. Or if you know someone good with sheet metal you could have one made.

Funny thing about V-8 II shrouds, lots of them are missing the tops. Since the tops of the shroud were so thin they tended to get pulled into the fan by air flow/engine rock. I still remember the sound my shroud made when the fan tore it apart, a bang followed by what sounded like shrapnel. Now I remember, going into second the engine lifted putting the fan into the shroud.

Since your car is a '74 with an aftermarket radiator and an unknown engine installation I'm not sure it would be worth your time and money to chase down a II V-8 shroud, but you won't know this unless you spend the time and money chasing down A V-8 II shroud. Vicious circle, Eh??

MadMark said:
I do I do !!!

Paid about $3,800.

But then it came with a new II attached.

;)

Your II is a '74? That could be a problem. I havet seen your car, and sure havent measured it out, I have no way of knowing how many hoops the installer of the engine jumped through, or avoided jumping through, to put the engne and trans in a car that engine didn't come with.

Factory V8 installation put the engine offset ~ 1 1/8 inches to the right so you can't use a shroud that centers on the radiator. OTOH we don't know how the engines set in the car .....

I'm with Dano, I would go through yards till I found one that fit or could be made to fit. Or if you know someone good with sheet metal you could have one made.

Funny thing about V-8 II shrouds, lots of them are missing the tops. Since the tops of the shroud were so thin they tended to get pulled into the fan by air flow/engine rock. I still remember the sound my shroud made when the fan tore it apart, a bang followed by what sounded like shrapnel. Now I remember, going into second the engine lifted putting the fan into the shroud.

Since your car is a '74 with an aftermarket radiator and an unknown engine installation I'm not sure it would be worth your time and money to chase down a II V-8 shroud, but you won't know this unless you spend the time and money chasing down A V-8 II shroud. Vicious circle, Eh??

Her car is TITLED as a 74, but it's not. I went over all the attributes of her car with her a while back, and I feel it's a 75. So it doesn't have the 74 nose and radiator support either. It's a 75-78 bodied car.

The car has been through hell and back, wrecked and rebuilt a bunch of times by the previous owner. So most of the body parts and panals are not original. It's got stuff from just about every year on it.

Note: I really hate my car sometimes.

Power Surge said:
Her car is TITLED as a 74, but it's not. I went over all the attributes of her car with her a while back,

Your right, it has the short header and high fuel port

normal_S4021117.JPG

among other things ......

and I feel it's a 75.

At least not a '74.

It's fallen into the same Twilight Zone as the 77 1/2?

Makes it about 90% certin a 75~8 shroud should fit.

Factory V8 installation put the engine offset ~ 1 1/8 inches to the right so you can't use a shroud that centers on the radiator.

Mark, and anyone else who may be interested, I have centered my 351W in the bay and a stock II Shroud does fit. There is enough clearance on the edges to compensate for the 1 1/8 inch.