New Rear Tires - Stupid Q

Gray02GT

Founding Member
Oct 9, 2002
Eaton, Colorado
Allright, I have some GS-D3's coming that I got a great price on through a friend, 285/40/17 for my rear tires. Im planning on just keeping the stock F1's up front for a while because they still have lots of tread left.

My quetsion is this, the 285/40/17 tires are slightly taller, like .3 of an inch or something. My question is, is having a slightly taller tire in the rear going to effect anything? Obviously the speedo will be very mildly off, but is it going to have any effect on my ABS, traction control (not that I use it), alignment etc?

Basically, are there any concerns or am I good to go? The overall difference is like 1.2%, so my rear tires will be getting 10 more revolutions per mile then my front tires. Any issue here?

Would appreciate any input to the subject.. thanks =)

• Sponsors (?)

Uncle Meat said:
Well I'm currently running Nitto 315's on AFS 17X10.5 rims now and the Goodyear GS-D3 315's are more than a full inch wider than the Nitto's!

U.M.

Daymn. I've got AFS 03 Cobra replica's in 18x10.5. I'm going to be getting some Goodyear GS-D3's soon. I'd love to get 315/35-18's but I'm afraid they'll rub.

If you get 315/35-17's for your 17's let me know how they fit. I'm going to end up getting 285/35-18's unless I know for sure the 315's would fit. Damn I'd love to have 315's :)

edit: Oops just noticed those goodyear's don't have a 315 for an 18 inch wheel. I'm still curious if the 315's fit yours. Might mean 315/35 of some other tire brand would fit for me.

djtech said:
Daymn. I've got AFS 03 Cobra replica's in 18x10.5. I'm going to be getting some Goodyear GS-D3's soon. I'd love to get 315/35-18's but I'm afraid they'll rub.

If you get 315/35-17's for your 17's let me know how they fit. I'm going to end up getting 285/35-18's unless I know for sure the 315's would fit. Damn I'd love to have 315's :)

edit: Oops just noticed those goodyear's don't have a 315 for an 18 inch wheel. I'm still curious if the 315's fit yours. Might mean 315/35 of some other tire brand would fit for me.

I can tell you right now that the GS-D3's in a 315 size won't fit on my car without some modifications. I'm currently running a "buttonhead IRS bolt" so my current 315 Nittos on 17X10.5's don't rub at the full suspension limits. I will have to add a 1/2 inch wheel spacer in order to accomodate the Goodyear 315's! There are some pics out there on the web somewhere of this combo and it looks ssshhhhaaaawwwweeeeeettttt! I'll see if I can dig them up.

U.M.

Sorry for hijacking Gray02GT. These are tire questions though :)

UM: bummer (315's wont fit)...

How do you know the 315's won't fit? I ask because I heard before (forgot where) that AFS wheels have extra backspacing and I was dreaming the 315's would fit without a spacer. I'm not willing to use spacers so I might not ever be able to use tires over 295/35's

Uncle Meat said:
I can tell you right now that the GS-D3's in a 315 size won't fit on my car without some modifications. I'm currently running a "buttonhead IRS bolt" so my current 315 Nittos on 17X10.5's don't rub at the full suspension limits. I will have to add a 1/2 inch wheel spacer in order to accomodate the Goodyear 315's! There are some pics out there on the web somewhere of this combo and it looks ssshhhhaaaawwwweeeeeettttt! I'll see if I can dig them up.

U.M.

djtech said:
Sorry for hijacking Gray02GT. These are tire questions though :)

UM: bummer (315's wont fit)...

How do you know the 315's won't fit? I ask because I heard before (forgot where) that AFS wheels have extra backspacing and I was dreaming the 315's would fit without a spacer. I'm not willing to use spacers so I might not ever be able to use tires over 295/35's

Unfortunately the back spacing on the 17inch AFS rims is not optimal for the Cobra's IRS. It's almost as if these rims were designed with the straight axle in mind, not the IRS!

I know the Goodyear GS-D3's in the 315/35/17 tire size, mounted on 17X10.5 AFS rims are too wide because there are a few guys out there running this same combo! To allow full suspension travel with no rubbing, using this combo requires either a shaved IRS bolt or a buttonhead bolt, in addition to a half inch spacer.

The main problem here is when the suspension is fully extended, the IRS bolt can come into contact with the tire's sidewall. It's not as bad with the 18 inch AFS's though, but still a potential problem.

U.M.

djtech said:

Food for thought, the 285 GS-D3's are about the same size as the 315 nitto's, they arent 'small' tires by any means so Im pretty sure 315 GS D3's may not fit without doing some mods.

Uncle Meat said:
I plan on going with those same tires (only wider) when my Nittos wear out. Won't be any issues or concerns at all being only .3 of inch difference in size.

U.M.
Allright. Thanks for the info, a few people keep saying they had their ABS light tripped with the same combo, but im sort of skeptical about it. I guess we will see, if worse comes to worse ill just get a second pair and put 285's on the front (too big, but I can get too good of a deal on these tires in 285 to justify getting anything else).

Thanks for the info, b tw good choice in tires =)