New Rubber

Mr. SONIC GT

Feb 20, 2007
I have a 04 GT with stock 17x8s now I am looking at 17x9-17x10.5 or 18x9-18x18.10. What is the right back spec and what size tire can i put on with some kind of dr on the back.

• Sponsors (?)

if you are going to run 17's which i highly recommend.

17x9.0 in the front with a 275/40/17 tire

17x10.5 in the rear with a 315/35/17 tire.

the backspacings are 24mm on the front and 27mm in the rear.

couple things to watch out for when u do this swap though. Have to make sure your e-brake and speed sensor cables are far enough away from the tire so they don't rub. I have first hand experience with that one lol. and the second thing is if you are lowered at all you are going to have to either roll the rear fender lips or cut them off or the tire will rub it. Both are a very easy thing to fix I cut mine off and put some touch up paint on the bare metal to try to prevent rust but some like to roll them.

Backspacing has nothing to do with the space between the inside of the wheel and the caliper.

Backspacing is the distance from the back edge(inside) of the wheel to the hub mounting surface.

To determine the wheel backspace:
1. Position the wheel face down.
2. Lay a straight-edge across the back of the wheel. Measure the distance from the straight-edge to the wheel's hub mounting surface.

Offset is slightly different. Offset is the distance from the wheel's centerline to the hub mounting surface.

Zero offset: The hub mounting surface is even with the centerline of the wheel.

Positive offset: The hub mounting surface is toward the front or wheel side of the wheel. Positive offset wheels are generally found on front-wheel drive cars.

Negative offset: The hub mounting surface is toward the back or brake side of the wheel's centerline. "Deep dish" wheels are typically negative offset. Offset can be calculated by positioning the wheel on a flat surface and measuring its overall width and backspace as shown below. Divide the overall width by two, then subtract this result from the backspace value.

View attachment 399662

View attachment 399663

Well thanks for that now i can find out before i buy a set. My is not lowered at all , my buddy told me that i should be around 6.5 -6.7 back space with like you said 24 up front 27 in back. That is what i am looking for is 17x9s-17x10.5 not sure if i want the 315 or 295 .

You should have no problems fitting 315's on the rear. I have 315's and have no rubbing on any brake or suspension components and I still have plenty of clearance from the fender.
Same here and it amazes me that I don't have an issue. Before I got the 315s, I check the space between the rear tire and the exhaust pipe (with OEM wheels and tires)...about 2 inches at the closest point. I thought there is no way a wheel 3 inches wider is gonna work. Little did I know the problem would be in the front with the Cobra brakes...LOL
By the way, I just put American Racing Torq Thrust IIs on my 02. The off the shelf (spec for the 94+ Mustang) 11" rims in the rear and 9.5" in the front, with 315 and 275 tires, respectively - these have 7" backspacing in the rear and about 6.5" in the front. Unfortunately, the Cobra brakes in the front would catch on the spoke, so I had to buy MM 1/2" spacers, which then required new (ARP, might as well get the best) studs...then I had to cut them down to get the acorn lug nuts to fit...all in all, it was a challenge, but it looks hot. The fronts are out a lil bit from the edge of the fender, but it all works...

I have a magnaflow cat back so i will have to check the spacing on that. I still have not got that cat-back to sit right it either hits the axle or the springs and now i have this rattle coming from the back it drives me nuts i am 2 sec from putting the stock back on. well like i said i hope the 10.5 fit and do i have to go 315s can i go 295s back.