new speedometer?

I tried searching and all I could find was stuff on convertering the 85mph to the 140mph and replacing the cable...

I had the cable replaced on wendesday because the speedo just starts bouncing around when i hit 70. The shop replaced it and lubed it, all that good stuff. Now it's jumping once it hits 60?! The guy told me I needed a new speedometer but ford doesn't make them anymore and I can't find one on Jegs or Summit. Where else can I look to find one?? I tried 50resto but their site is down.

• Sponsors (?)

check bbk speedware they have a lot of stuff to convert your speedo, and if you are going to a higher mph you have to send the speedo core to them to have it recalibrated, good luck

oh ****, sorry man i misread your post, youre looking for the speedo...
i just checked all of my mustang mags but i didnt find anything, you could go to the junkyard, i know it sounds bad, but there are a lot of good parts you could get at your local one really cheap too.sorry

thanks for the response guys. i guess i'll be heading to the junkyard next week. only bad part is the closest one that actually has useful things is an hour drive out. i found one at blueovalindustries.com for $145 http://www.blueovalindustries.com/products.php?pid=912&openparent=1275 is it worth the $145 or should i get one at the junkyard? i looked over ebay but couldn't find any.

just curious, will replacing the speedometer show the odometer at 00000.0?

just get what you can afford, i would go the junkyard route, but if you have the money buy it new. you could probably buy one at the junk for like 20 bucks maybe even less just talk them down.
sorry but i dont know for sure if your odo will show 000000 but im pretty sure you could have it set to the original miles by that shop.
good luck man

if you want the 140 or higher speedo you should just send you whole cluster to brothers performance the can install the white face guages and recalibrater your speedo for like 170mph if you'd like i think after its all said and done it runs right at 200$. you should try giving them a call

TooFoxy said:
if you want the 140 or higher speedo you should just send you whole cluster to brothers performance the can install the white face guages and recalibrater your speedo for like 170mph if you'd like i think after its all said and done it runs right at 200$. you should try giving them a call

is that a new speedo or a recalibration? i would need the full unit :/

You might want to try to fix the Speedo Head first.
I had the same problem and fixed it.
There is a small spiral spring around the shaft which i pushed down towards the needle to get rid of some of the play.
Then i lubbed up the part where the cable connects.
Also, i noticed that the drum with the two magnets in it rubbed on the cylinder on end of the needle shaft. By pushing down on the spring, it pulled that entire assembly forward, and stopped it from rubbing. Its really not as compilcated as people make it sound.

I got my old 85 mph speedo that I stuck on a Saleen face on it and you can have it real cheap like $50 plus my cost to ship from Calif. It works fine but I went the eBay route and got a Motorsports 140 mph one for like $100 and it is very accurate. BTW you will have to have it recalibrated for the new 200 mph face to work or just take the face off for 85 mph speedo.

87gtconv: Does that speedo have a black or white face on it? I might be interested if it's a black face.

plainwrecknate: There are about five speedos on eBay right now. They are currently under $40 with a couple of days left in the auction.

Saleen0679 said:
87gtconv: Does that speedo have a black or white face on it? I might be interested if it's a black face.

Of course the stock speedo is black faced and so is the Saleen overlay which goes to 200 mph and has the word Saleen in white letters under the odometer opening. Just checked and the odometer is still at 19,600. I think the overlay went for about $50 alone. Saleen parts are overpriced for the most part. The overlay has never really been used exept that it has been installed on the speedo face. :nice: