New springs & swaybar

Jeffrostang

Founding Member
Jan 4, 2001
Richmond, VA
So... I bought the $400 kit with the springs, struts, shocks, swaybars from FMS. I attempted to change the rear springs in the evening to get it out of the way and I don't know what it is with this car but everything takes longer with it. I must have spent an hour on the rear and I'm only half done. When I did these on my 01 GT it was way easier. On my 01 I dropped the axle and the springs fell out, on this one they are tight and I almost ripped my brake hose off that drops in the middle of the axle. Getting rediculous. And to top it all of I'm missing the swaybar on my Cobra! No luck.

Questions....
Is there some trick to these rear springs? I saw a kick them out post when I was searching. Wish I would have pulled the wheels off now.

What are the bolts on the swaybar? I need to buy some to put the one on from the kit since it seems my car was a parts car in its past.

• Sponsors (?)

For the rears it took my like 20mins to do the whole thing. Just go in the trunk and undo a shock. But have a jack supporting the rear end then lower that side down and it will come way down. Then it helps to have a friend pull down on the axle a little bit and then just kick the spring out. Didnt even really take much force at all.

I got them done early this morning. I kicked them out, I needed to kick something after all the problems I had yesterday. Now I need to work on the front but I'm changing a-arms and struts too. Dang bolts are frickin tight. Tommorrow sounds like a good day. I don't mind a saggy rear for one day. Looks like I need to go to the dealer and pay $20 for 4 bolts to put my swaybar on.

So... I changed the fronts out this morning and the passanger spring was broken, about half of the bottom first ring was broken off. I can't believe that spring didn't go flying out of the car.

I really like the way the FMS kit rides. Car is stiffer, alittle lower, and much more fun to drive.

Thank you for taking the time to post feedback about it (when lookin at what product to buy, I search threads a good bit and so many have no feedback). I've been known to leave a handful of PM's asking people how they liked stuff, which is a PITA when it's 2 am and we want to order parts. :D