New 'Stang owner here!

MiamiE

Apr 4, 2004
i just got a 2003 GT for my girlfriend and after owning many ford trucks i can say this car is the best and quickest ive ever driven. i got a few questions about some basic bolt ons. im thinking about adding some Flowmaster 40 series mufflers and keeping my stock piping and tips. is this adviseable? also thinking about adding the MAC intake and MAC long tubes for $350 its a deal. the Steeda lowering springs are priced nicely also. are these mods in my cars best interest? :D

• Sponsors (?)

MiamiE said:
i just got a 2003 GT for my girlfriend and after owning many ford trucks i can say this car is the best and quickest ive ever driven. i got a few questions about some basic bolt ons. im thinking about adding some Flowmaster 40 series mufflers and keeping my stock piping and tips. is this adviseable? also thinking about adding the MAC intake and MAC long tubes for $350 its a deal. the Steeda lowering springs are priced nicely also. are these mods in my cars best interest? :D

Bolting in/welding in any muffler into the stock system - I did this, and I regret it slightly only because for $100 more, I could have just bought the Full American Thunder catback and installed it myself. Get a full catback! Don't expect any noticeable gains either from any catback - pick your brand/style based on what sounds good to you!

MAC intake? If you are referring to the CAI they have, I'd pass unless you just like the look of it. It does look nice, but I wouldn't expect any noticeable gains with it.

MAC longtubes - Just FYI, you'll also need to purchase a new mid-pipe, so it's not just $350. Also, I understand the install can be pretty tough /time consuming. Unless you are installing these yourself, expect a substantail cost to have them installe (at least over $300.)

Steeda Lowering springs - relatively cheap, not a dramatic drop but they definitely make the mustang look better! Handling is improved, but your 60' times might suffer a little due to less weight transfer. The trade off was worth it to me. You can easily install these yourself in your garage/driveway. Get em!

If I had to do it all over again, I'd do the following in this order:

1.) Catback (for sound)
2.) Steeda Shifter (because you won't miss third anymore)
3.) 4.10s (for street fun and lower ETs w/ sticky tires)
4.) Drag radials (for great hook-up at the track and lower ETs)
5.) Steeda Lowering springs (mostly for looks)

yea i know. it better LAST! wow so what intake do you all recommend? i see your all not to crazy about the steeda lowering springs. what do you recommend? so you all dont advise to go with the MAC intake and headers? i love the Flowmaster sound seeing as though the gains wil be minimal why not.

MiamiE said:
yea i know. it better LAST! wow so what intake do you all recommend? i see your all not to crazy about the steeda lowering springs. what do you recommend? so you all dont advise to go with the MAC intake and headers? i love the Flowmaster sound seeing as though the gains wil be minimal why not.

Generally most people say just do a drop in K&N filter and take off the air silencer. If you really want one though the K&N FIPKII seems to be the best out there. Flowmaster makes a lot noise but they restrict flow (from what I've heard) and sometimes may actually decrease performance. Think about getting a full catback too. Check out http://ubb.mustangexhaust.com/ they have all kinds of hints and sound clips too.

For springs it all depends on how low you wanna go. Personally I've come to REALLY like H&R Super Sports (1.75" drop). If you want something a little less you can get the H&R Sports. The other big brand is Eibach. The Pro-Kit is about a 1.25" drop and the Sportline is about 2" drop. Some people have complained about Eibach quality in the last little bit here saying that the spring sag after awhile. You should DEFINITELY add a shifter to the list too! Pro 5.0 or Steeda Tri-Ax, it'll make driving WAY more fun!

Graham

sweetness im still trying to learn how to drive the 5spd so in due time the short shifter will arrive. right now im thinking off adding the K&N filter, saving the money on the intake and going with an exhaust. what i dont understand is why i just dont replace the mufflers and keep my stock piping? the drop springs im thinking the Steeda's are about $200 shipped its a pretty good deal unless theres cheaper, better out there. as for mufflers. i would really like that Flowmaster sound but i dont want to lose power, i didnt go with Flowmaster on my truck after having them on i switched to Magnaflow and what a difference. theres only one 'Flowmaster sound though'

MiamiE said:
sweetness im still trying to learn how to drive the 5spd so in due time the short shifter will arrive. right now im thinking off adding the K&N filter, saving the money on the intake and going with an exhaust. what i dont understand is why i just dont replace the mufflers and keep my stock piping? the drop springs im thinking the Steeda's are about $200 shipped its a pretty good deal unless theres cheaper, better out there. as for mufflers. i would really like that Flowmaster sound but i dont want to lose power, i didnt go with Flowmaster on my truck after having them on i switched to Magnaflow and what a difference. theres only one 'Flowmaster sound though'

The reason you wanna ditch the stock pipe is that it is small and restrictive. You'll notice much more of a performance gain with a full cat-back. Also with the cost you have to pay to get someone to cut out your stock mufflers and weld in new ones you could basically buy the cat-back. Then you and your boyfriend can install that yourselves in no time! Magnaflow is definitely one of my favourite sounding exhaust setups, very nice! For spring I think you should check out http://www.hrsprings.com/ or http://www.eibach.com/ these are the two springs most people go with. Buy them cheap from http://howbarmotorsports.com/ that's the best prices I've seen. Good luck and welcome to the Mustang world!

Graham

MiamiE said:
sounds good. so 2.5" or 3" piping for the exhaust?

http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/cat-backs/mustang.htm

Check this link out, it has all the Magnaflow Mustang exhaust stuff! But definitely as streetstang said if you put 3" on you'll drop horsepower. But as far I know have the 3" tips is no big deal in terms of performance, just looks cool! I'm thinking Magnaflow cat-back after my new Stang gets here!

Graham

i'm pretty sure the stock tips weren't 3"
but my Magnaflow (like u said) IS 3.5" and it looks awesome
fits great

jonjon04.jpg

I used the granatelli coilovers and they work great. A 2 in drop and not too stiff with the kyb shocks. I also welded subframes (thick) and had a 21/2 inch xpipe welded in to prostreets muffs and stck tailpipes. Coilovers are adjustable and havent sagged in a year since installed. Adding 430's next with a superchips programmer.