New Times(again... 3-30-2008)

Winters98GT

Whoop...whoop-whoop-whoop-whoop...GANGNAM STYLE!!!
Founding Member
Nov 29, 1999
H Town
went to the track again. On Friday, I got the car to a 9.19.

The car is a 1997gt, with 150,xxx miles.
Stock 2.73 gears(blow), pullies, h pipe, drag radials.

Tonight I got 3 runs in before they stoped the racing because of rain. It looked like it might blow over but its sunday and I didnt feel like being out there all night.

run1
9.1955(1/8)
75.92mph

run2
9.2055(1/8)
75.68mph

Damn bracket car!

25 minute cooldown

9.1412(1/8)
76.09mph

Im hoping to order a set of skinnies and a Timing adjuster this week and have the car in the 8's with the stock heads, cam, intake, and crappy 2.73's this weekend!

• Sponsors (?)

I think Im gonna go old skoool and mount a tractory battery(dynabatt) in the car. it saves about 25-30 pounds off the front of the car as well.

It'll happen and i'll be there to witness it. I'm wanting to show that the npi cars aren't as slow as everyone makes them out to be if you can drive the car to its fullest. I believe I have personally shown this with my little automatic car, and now Mark is doing it with his 5 speed with those HORRIBLE gears.

It helps that we have some of the best hooking tracks in the world.

It'll happen and i'll be there to witness it. I'm wanting to show that the npi cars aren't as slow as everyone makes them out to be if you can drive the car to its fullest. I believe I have personally shown this with my little automatic car, and now Mark is doing it with his 5 speed with those HORRIBLE gears.

It helps that we have some of the best hooking tracks in the world.

I need to get it done within the next 3-4 weeks. I dont think its gonna happen if I wait any longer with it being 85 degrees and 80% humidity in Houston during our summer nights.

Well go get that t/a and get it installed. I'll look around and see if I can't atleast find some v6 15s for the front instead of the heavier 17s that are on there (I don't think the skinnies will be in by the time you need it).

Those gears are killing you in the 1/8th. I just searched through the little spreadsheet of my runs that I have and noticed a pass that is similar to yours from HRP.
60' 2.065
330' 5.937
1/8 9.136
MPH 76.86
1000' 11.914
1/4 14.264
MPH 95.94

I would assume you are likely to run around there in that range as it sits right now. Let's strip the weight out of it and get you an 8.99 at HMP :D

Well go get that t/a and get it installed. I'll look around and see if I can't atleast find some v6 15s for the front instead of the heavier 17s that are on there (I don't think the skinnies will be in by the time you need it).

Those gears are killing you in the 1/8th. I just searched through the little spreadsheet of my runs that I have and noticed a pass that is similar to yours from HRP.
60' 2.065
330' 5.937
1/8 9.136
MPH 76.86
1000' 11.914
1/4 14.264
MPH 95.94

I would assume you are likely to run around there in that range as it sits right now. Let's strip the weight out of it and get you an 8.99 at HMP :D

theres not a whole lot more we can strip out of it:D. Still running the stock, powered leather seat, and all the carpet.

Ive got a guy at discount that I am going to call bright and early in the morning. Hell match summitts price on the welds. Maybe they can get them in by sat if we run sunday???????, we also a video camera, as I will not be running "NT-no time"

I know the TA is worth close to a tenth. Im hoping that the wheels and TA, which really helps in the lower middle part of the powerband will help me through the bog. I upped the psi from 11.5 to 14 and still bogged launching at 53-5500rpm.

Sounds like you have a hookup at that discount tire. He gave you a killer deal on the radials too.

Install the t/a and lighten the rotating weight up front..it'll get there. I'll use my vehicle as a storage for all your parts :rlaugh: I also have a cold air intake if you want to give that a shot :nice:

Your car moves pretty good.

You must be a good driver too because those are decent times even for a near stock 99+ 5 speed.

Thanks for the compliment......... a little weight removed(nothing radical....yet), and some good tires always helps. I do consider myself a decent driver but feel that Im a long way from being a good driver.

If you can launch without the bog 1.9 60 foot times are there. A 8.xx 1/8 is not far behind.

Thanks Stan, input from a true expert always helps

My experience launching at 5500rpm is limited. Im finding it hard with 200-215rwhp and 2.73 gears to get this launch down. The car doesnt have the gear or power to get its way through a bog like Im used to. Not sure if that makes any sense, but Im hoping a little more practice, skinnies in the front, -25 pounds with a dynabatt, and an increase in timing(low end) might help...???? any suggestions are welcomed.

Mark

The T/A should give you a bit more torque more than anything that should help you get out of the hole a lot better. Are you powershifting? Another question once you do go to a higher numberical gear i.e. 3:73s, could the extra shift that you would need to perform in the 1/8th actually give you a slower time - meaning that it might not make up for lost time?

Nice job driving and I have the lightweight optimum battery, which I don't think did very much for me at the track, but certainly didn't hurt.

The T/A should give you a bit more torque more than anything that should help you get out of the hole a lot better. Are you powershifting? Another question once you do go to a higher numberical gear i.e. 3:73s, could the extra shift that you would need to perform in the 1/8th actually give you a slower time - meaning that it might not make up for lost time?

Nice job driving and I have the lightweight optimum battery, which I don't think did very much for me at the track, but certainly didn't hurt.

Thanks man. Im definetly gonning to need the extra shift. Im not too big on powershifting. I did it in my 98, broke a shift fork, and didnt see too much gain over normal shifting. I have definetly considered that extra shift and what it will do. I def. think the 3.90's or 4.10's(hesitant on 4.10's because Im not sure what size FI im going with in the future and dont want to get off a 26 inch tire.

The bynabatt, also similar to a tractor battery, is much smaller and much, much lighter than a optima(sp) battery. It weights around 13 pounds.

Stan,

Im running a 275/40-17 BFG drag Radial-old style tread

How much does this battery cost? :rlaugh: You are getting pretty serious on this weight reduction haha.

What kind of diet are you on? Surely you aren't wearing boots to race---if so you have to find some lightweight shoes!