New to cars! Gotta upgrade the v6!

Giraffe Flopper

Mar 31, 2013
I recently got a 2010 mustang v6. It's my first car and I love it! What I want to know if it is possible to order the new 3.7L 305hp v6 that Ford puts in 2011+ mustang v6's. Would any refabrication need to be done to my 2010 in order to install that new v6? I know I would most likely need dual exhaust, but would there be any other needed modifications before slapping in that new v6?

• Sponsors (?)

Is it possible to order the 3.7 from Ford, sure.

To swap from a 4.0 to a 3.7, you would need a new engine harness(and find a way to connect to the boddy harness), a way to hook up the electric power steering, ECU, transmission(11-up has 6 speed) etc.

If power is your aim, and you are hell-bent on a swap, you may be able to do a 4.6 swap for around the same money or cheaper.

Thanks for the response!

And yes! I am looking for more power but I need the gas mileage of a v6 rather than a v8. My insurance would also increase significantly if I upgraded to a v8. I just wonder how much a mechanic would charge me for this installation. I'm not planning on making this upgrade any time soon...

I recently got a 2010 mustang v6. It's my first car and I love it! What I want to know if it is possible to order the new 3.7L 305hp v6 that Ford puts in 2011+ mustang v6's. Would any refabrication need to be done to my 2010 in order to install that new v6? I know I would most likely need dual exhaust, but would there be any other needed modifications before slapping in that new v6?

if this is your first thing to do...you bought the wrong car. should have bought the 2011 and started modding from there.