New to the 5.0 scene some Q's...

KFRG

Jan 6, 2004
Hey guys,
I have been into 5.0's Mustangs ever since I can remember and finally have the chance to join the club. As a prospective buyer I have some questions. I found a nice low mileage stock car for sale and hopefully will be checking it out soon. Basically I want to know what to look for. I have heard people say "check the torque boxes" etc. From my understanding these are just load points around the unibody. Am I checking for cracks? Any pictures online to show the exact location?
Besides the normal stuff are there any other specific items to check for?

Thanks alot guys.

• Sponsors (?)

Welcome to the boards, most common is to look for rust on the tailgate, bottom of the doors and the a pillars by the door hinges. Also look for rust where the front strut towers meet the frame rails. The torque boxes are where the rear upper control arms mount to the body, if someone was beating on the car they will be tearing away from the body. Also check the door handles, power locks and windows since these are common broken parts as well. Good luck because you will love a fox.:)

k

Sorry pal tried a few keywords. I am sure this has been discussed already. Anyone with any usefull info?

Thanks.

Fair enough...

Take a look at the floorboards in particular, bring a flashlight with you when you check it out, look for leaks. Also, if 2nd or 3rd gear grinds or is hard to shift into it's probably been abused.

My personal experience has been that the interior is a good indicator of how the car was cared for. If it's in rough shape, the car was probably neglected mechanically too.

All the usual stuff too, does the exhaust smell like burnt oil? Does the engine miss or hesitate?

To me the worst strike a fox Mustang can have against it is rust. Everything else (ie little mechanical stuff) is secondary to me cause I can it can be fixed (upgraded) or replaced (upgraded). You are going to mod the car anyway so ... Body work is time consuming, expensive and absolutely zero fun.

Aside from that, just try to be patient and don't settle.

It took me almost 2 years to find my rust-free black LX 5spd hatch but I had decided not to spend over $5k and wouldn't settle for any other color, trans or body style.

Good luck.

Thanks for the replies guys. As for the floorboards, I take it any visual surface rust underneath the car is a sign. Also, in the hatch area, is it possible to lift the carpet up to inspect the metal underneath?

Thanks for the replies guys. As for the floorboards, I take it any visual surface rust underneath the car is a sign. Also, in the hatch area, is it possible to lift the carpet up to inspect the metal underneath?

welcome! yes you can lift the rear carpet area to check for rust. as said before, check torque boxes (where the upper AND lower control arms bolt to the frame of the car), the hatch is notorious for rusting. i just replaced mine actually. aside from that, i think most critical parts have been covered! good luck!

i know when i first looked at mine before i bought it the first thing i did was look at the frame & made sure it wasnt rusted to nothing & that it looked straight & then i made sure it started lol

Fair enough...

Take a look at the floorboards in particular, bring a flashlight with you when you check it out, look for leaks. Also, if 2nd or 3rd gear grinds or is hard to shift into it's probably been abused.

My personal experience has been that the interior is a good indicator of how the car was cared for. If it's in rough shape, the car was probably neglected mechanically too.

All the usual stuff too, does the exhaust smell like burnt oil? Does the engine miss or hesitate?

To me the worst strike a fox Mustang can have against it is rust. Everything else (ie little mechanical stuff) is secondary to me cause I can it can be fixed (upgraded) or replaced (upgraded). You are going to mod the car anyway so ... Body work is time consuming, expensive and absolutely zero fun.

Aside from that, just try to be patient and don't settle.

It took me almost 2 years to find my rust-free black LX 5spd hatch but I had decided not to spend over $5k and wouldn't settle for any other color, trans or body style.

Good luck.

I got lucky with mine. 42,000kms, lady driven, non smoker. The car was mint.
Just a couple of surface rust 'dots' on the hood from stone chips, and a bit of a crack on the bottom of the front bumper cover.:nice:

BTW, I should list the 5.0 I pulled out of it....

YOUR MUSTANG HAS A FRAME!!!

A subframe. It just doesn't really connect in the middle and it's technically grafted to the body...but it does, for the lack of a better term, have frame rails. They are what catches all the wrenches i drop in the engine bay :D

Well them and the k-member. I always find tools on that thing...even after driving hundreds of miles