new to the forum

4eyedfreak

Apr 3, 2011
hi my name is nick and i am excited a bought coming back to the v8 world. i used to own a 88 hard top that was well a nightmare someone changed it over to carb and the motor had a bottom end noise and just never got around to fixing it and traded off for a truck. for last year or so ive been doing dsm's [ eclipse talon lazer]. i have learned alot from engine building to turbo systems. sad to say my eclipse rotted out real bad so i sold it... and im looking at buying a 86 notch back that a friend of mine has swithed over to efi setup. im wanting to build a good bottom end and doing a turbo setup if any one has any input on doing this it would be a great help. i have a alot of knowlodge when it cam to doing my eclipse which i tunned my self and was able to safely pull 30psi out of turbonectis 50trim with my stock bottem end on my eclipse just to give an idea of where i come from. also im from mount pleasant pa if you know where thats at. so i was also wondering what tunning software is there for the foxbody? and who on here is turboed and what can a stock motor take boost wise?

• Sponsors (?)

Too many combo's out there to name...use the search button and you will uncover a ton of info. Stock blocks can hold decent power, I think the 450hp figure is usually where people start to worry about it. There are a number of after market blocks, ect...

The Turbo Forums.com is a great place to go read as well.

Glad to see that your done playin with toys and r ready for a big boys car again lol! Iv heard more than a couple of old skool engine builders say that the 302 block can hold up to 600hp, but i dont know if thats boosted or not. Probably be a good idea to use a stud girdle and a valley girdle jus to be safe.

Welcome! As far as turboing the Mustang look into On3 performance, Chad has a good kit that’s easy on the budget. Also, B&G and Pony Down offer great turbo kits as well or you could go the DIY route.

Most the turbostangs run 10 to 12lbs of boost on a stock block. After that you’re hitting into 500+ horsepower range and most don't last very long. Since your boosting a 5.0 invest in a wideband (LC-1 or AEM), 36lbs or 42lbs injectors (at least), 255lph fuel pump (at least), and blow though maf.

As for tuning there are Tweecer, Quarterhorse, Anderson PMS, and etc. What gears, transmission, and head gaskets are you running?

Just a clarification, but all 1986 5.0 Mustangs were EFI. They were speed density systems, so your friend may have converted it over to mass air? :welcome: back to Mustangs, and to :SNSign: