New to the forums...need help on engine swap..

LPKDG

Oct 25, 2004
Hey guys, glad i found this place. Well heres the deal, my uncles giving me a 69 mustang convertable with a 289 in it. The 289 needs to be rebuilt, but hes also giving me a 302 thats perfect. So im swapping the 289 out for the 302. I have not looked at either of these yet, cause i dont get the car for another few weeks. But still, i need to do my research to see what i am going to have to do to make this work. The car as i know is bone stock, so what ( if any ) modifications will i have to do to swap out these engines?

• Sponsors (?)

if the 302 is out of similar year car, you wont have to do anything to swap them, as they're the same motor with a slightly longer stroke than a 289. only difference is crank and rods. if its a more modern 302, like 85 or 87+ i think, you will need a few things to make everything work perfectly, front cover for the right water pump, fuel pump, Z-bar pivot if you've got a stick....again you wont be able to know til you have the year of the block and such. but either way it will be a pretty straight forward swap.