New Upholstery - Diy ?

Looking to get the TMI leather seats for 91 convertible, and calling around it looks like it will cost me ~$500 to have installed in the DC area. Anyone install themselves? That'd be $1,200 for new front and back seats... Even if I do it myself I will still have to bite the bullet for the cost of the seats.

• Sponsors (?)

I did mine and it was very easy. All you need is time, patience, hog ring pliers, hog rings, normal hand tools, and a little bit of skills and you can do it.

I did mine and installed new foam in the driver side I highly recommend doing that if it's in your budget the only thing is mine were fabric so I think they may be a little more forgiving then leather

I just did mine a couple of weekends ago. I'm one of the links posted above by dnbonds. It was very straight forward.
Just follow along to the LMR video, take your time, and you'll be fine. I also replaced the padding on the drivers seat. The old foam was pretty much gone. I had cloth but went with the vinyl. I used a heat gun to make the vinyl a little softer and easier to stretch over the foam/frame. I noticed you were going with the leather upholstery. I had originally thought about it until I read the fine print in the description. "The upholstery features vinyl back & sides with a leather seating surface." I couldn't justify the cost difference for one strip of leather. Just an FYI. Good luck

Reactions: 1 users
I just did mine a couple of weekends ago. I'm one of the links posted above by dnbonds. It was very straight forward.
Just follow along to the LMR video, take your time, and you'll be fine. I also replaced the padding on the drivers seat. The old foam was pretty much gone. I had cloth but went with the vinyl. I used a heat gun to make the vinyl a little softer and easier to stretch over the foam/frame. I noticed you were going with the leather upholstery. I had originally thought about it until I read the fine print in the description. "The upholstery features vinyl back & sides with a leather seating surface." I couldn't justify the cost difference for one strip of leather. Just an FYI. Good luck
What are your thoughts on the new foam? Lots of likes and dislikes out there.

What are your thoughts on the new foam? Lots of likes and dislikes out there.

I thought it was well made and it fit the stock frames with no issues. It really made a difference in the feel of the seat.
I really had no choice regardless. My original drivers seat foam was beyond worn out. I've seen some people complain that it's too thick and make you sit higher in the car. I did notice that as well but I chalked up to new versus 20+ year old foam, Besides, I'm short so it worked to my advantage.:)
I'm happy with the foam as well as the upholstery but hey, I'm no professional installer.

Attachments

• IMG_0325.JPG
    IMG_0325.JPG
    667 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_0324.JPG
    IMG_0324.JPG
    606.6 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_0327.JPG
    IMG_0327.JPG
    726.9 KB · Views: 111
Reactions: 1 users
That's pretty sneaky, I'd be mad dropping dough on mostly vinyl

That's how it came from Ford - only the seat facings were leather - unless you're buying a Bugatti, the entire seat upholstery is not going to be made in leather. My 50K lincoln has the same straight from the factory, leather facing - vinyl sides.

Let me know if anyone has any questions for me!

That's how it came from Ford - only the seat facings were leather - unless you're buying a Bugatti, the entire seat upholstery is not going to be made in leather. My 50K lincoln has the same straight from the factory, leather facing - vinyl sides.

Let me know if anyone has any questions for me!

My intentions weren't to insult you or bad mouth your products. I was just saying that for me it wasn't worth the price difference. I apologize if it came accross wrong.

My intentions weren't to insult you or bad mouth your products. I was just saying that for me it wasn't worth the price difference. I apologize if it came accross wrong.

Not in the least, just wanted to make sure that no one would be expecting full leather when they ordered and then feel slighted when the item arrived.
however - we do offer a 100% complete ALL leather option - but I think I might break the internet if I posted the price :)

I thought it was well made and it fit the stock frames with no issues. It really made a difference in the feel of the seat.
I really had no choice regardless. My original drivers seat foam was beyond worn out. I've seen some people complain that it's too thick and make you sit higher in the car. I did notice that as well but I chalked up to new versus 20+ year old foam, Besides, I'm short so it worked to my advantage.:)
I'm happy with the foam as well as the upholstery but hey, I'm no professional installer.
Mine are shot too. Unfortunetly I am 6'4" and looking over the windshield in my vert instead of through it just wont work for me. Guess I will find out this summer.

Reactions: 1 user