New Vette and Camaro Engine!!!

03GTconv

Feb 15, 2006
Fort Worth
Well fellow Ford buddies.....GM is armed and ready...Bring on the Boss...Because the New Camaro SS is going to eat its lunch :mad: Dammit GM

say's 450hp for each.

Quote:
CC: So are you going to do your own versions of the new Camaro?
Saleen: It's not legally official right now, but that's what we're hoping for.

CC: What kind of upgrades will you make, have you seen the engine GM is using in the Camaro?
Saleen: I hope I don't get in trouble with GM for saying this, but they're using a 6.2 liter 450 horsepower engine for the premium V8 in the 2009 Camaro and the base Corvette. The base V8 will probably be a detuned version of the same 6.2. So we'll just upgrade the 6.2 liter V8 to Saleen level specifications. We're going to upgrade the 6.2 liter V8 if we're given the legal chance by GM. Our base model should have around 485 horsepower, and expect our Extreme Supercharged Camaro to have over 600 horsepower.

• Sponsors (?)

If it is true, I personnally don't have any feelings either way, because I'm a mustang guy, not a camaro guy. That's why I own one, not a maro. I don't enjoy mine is bigger than yours arguments. The mustang is more about just ultimate hp to me.

A 600hp factory Camaro is about as useful as t@ts on a board.

One tenth of one percent of car enthusiasts would be interested and able to afford them.

Not a very smart move on GM's part IMHO. They need to focus on the masses and move product.

Kilgore Trout said:
A 600hp factory Camaro is about as useful as t@ts on a board.

One tenth of one percent of car enthusiasts would be interested and able to afford them.

Not a very smart move on GM's part IMHO. They need to focus on the masses and move product.

Its not GM but Saleen who is putting out the 600hp Camaro...it will be their Extreme version just like the Extreme Saleen Mustang that is expensive. I expect the base Camaro to be in the 275-300hp area and i bet they will sell at a good rate.

DropTopPony said:
Its not GM but Saleen who is putting out the 600hp Camaro...it will be their Extreme version just like the Extreme Saleen Mustang that is expensive. I expect the base Camaro to be in the 275-300hp area and i bet they will sell at a good rate.

No way....theres no way that a base Z28 will go any lower than the rated horsepower in a LS1....i say they use the new 6.2 liter 362 hp aussie engine in there base Camaro....albiet the SS version will recieve the 450 hp powerplant.

DBMSTNG said:
yeah, it'll have 450hp in the top of the line model. last i checked, the top of the line model Mustang was advertised at 500hp and actually makes more.

It may make 500 hp....but it runs 12.70s.....If you checked out the new Motor Trend in pitted the Cobra/Zo6/and Viper SRT 10

Times:
Z06 - 11.7
Viper - 12.1
GT500 - 12.7

Although I dont see really how its fair to pit these against eachother as the Z06 and Viper in my opionon are Luxery Sports cars and the GT500 is Americas Muscle Car...and it weighs over 600 lbs more..

GM is hyping them hoping to sell them, as opposed to not selling them like their history.

i really expect a 4.8 or 5.3 litre LS with 295 - 350 hp.

after racing plenty of 5.3 LS's i'm not impressed. they lack torque

302hp/325tq

their SS model will have a 6.0l LSX with 405+hp. but do any of you think it's going to be cheap? what chevrolet is cheap.

an SS impala or montecarlo is 30k+.

an ss camaro with that expensive chasis and high dollar motor will be much more.

i'll buy a 325hp stang a bolt it to 350rwhp with the difference in cash.

be realistic.

billfisher said:
GM is hyping them hoping to sell them, as opposed to not selling them like their history.

i really expect a 4.8 or 5.3 litre LS with 295 - 350 hp.

after racing plenty of 5.3 LS's i'm not impressed. they lack torque

302hp/325tq

their SS model will have a 6.0l LSX with 405+hp. but do any of you think it's going to be cheap? what chevrolet is cheap.

an SS impala or montecarlo is 30k+.

an ss camaro with that expensive chasis and high dollar motor will be much more.

i'll buy a 325hp stang a bolt it to 350rwhp with the difference in cash.

be realistic.

Depends on the Enthusiast....Yeah lets be realistic.....The new Mustang my friend brand new is being marked at 30k +....although they say a starting price of 25k...yeah a V6....There all overpriced and ford is right there along with the rest!!!

03GTconv said:
It may make 500 hp....but it runs 12.70s.....If you checked out the new Motor Trend in pitted the Cobra/Zo6/and Viper SRT 10

Times:
Z06 - 11.7
Viper - 12.1
GT500 - 12.7

Although I dont see really how its fair to pit these against eachother as the Z06 and Viper in my opionon are Luxery Sports cars and the GT500 is Americas Muscle Car...and it weighs over 600 lbs more..

please don't ever post magazine times again.:nonono:

just because the lame-asses at MT only ran a 12.7 does not mean it's a 12.7 car.

03GTconv said:
Depends on the Enthusiast....Yeah lets be realistic.....The new Mustang my friend brand new is being marked at 30k +....although they say a starting price of 25k...yeah a V6....There all overpriced and ford is right there along with the rest!!!
funny, my sis got her 05 GT for 25K and not a penny more and its no v6.
And the new camaro doesnt scare me nor does it bother me that GM will put 450hp in the SS version. Its more fun to have a lil competition, and i dont think any ford guy should be in fear as long as ford keeps pumping out good top of the line mustangs like the GT500, the upcoming BOSS 302 and the upcoming BULLITT. Nothing to fear at all my friend.:nice:

PonyboyIsaac said:
funny, my sis got her 05 GT for 25K and not a penny more and its no v6.
And the new camaro doesnt scare me nor does it bother me that GM will put 450hp in the SS version. Its more fun to have a lil competition, and i dont think any ford guy should be in fear as long as ford keeps pumping out good top of the line mustangs like the GT500, the upcoming BOSS 302 and the upcoming BULLITT. Nothing to fear at all my friend.:nice:

True given that they give those cars a good powerplant

03GTconv said:

Times:
Z06 - 11.7
Viper - 12.1
GT500 - 12.7

Actually, muscle mustangs and fast fords mag ran a 12.25 in the quarter and yes i know motortrend only got a 12.7, so there's living proof that driver matters.

03GTconv said:
No way....theres no way that a base Z28 will go any lower than the rated horsepower in a LS1....i say they use the new 6.2 liter 362 hp aussie engine in there base Camaro....albiet the SS version will recieve the 450 hp powerplant.

When i said base camaro i meant the V6....i fully expect a 275hp 6 banger.

san~man said:
You sold your 70' in that auction?

Sanman, yes, timing was right to do so.

Back to the original post, Saleen can say all they want right now, but until the car is done and on the showroom floors, I don't believe anything that comes out of their mouths, and as I mentioned previously, who knows if they will even be in business in two years. They are not exactly shattering any sales marks right now.

The Camaro will sell pretty good when it hits the streets, as any new novelty will. That will soon be wiped out by the new Challenger.

Stangdriver13 said:
Actually, muscle mustangs and fast fords mag ran a 12.25 in the quarter and yes i know motortrend only got a 12.7, so there's living proof that driver matters.

Very true buddy...i also seen where they posted 12.20s....its great and in true honesty the Mustang looks the meanest and it also recieves alot more attention....when you see a GT500 rolling down the street all you can do is pick your mouth up off the ground.....The Z06 is more of a "hey Look" its a Z06.....nothing like the famous GT500...slower yes....but popularity wise it takes the cake!!!