New Vette and Camaro Engine!!!

That is very true, because the first time i saw a GT500 on the street it was sitting in a parking lot, i immediately turned around, drove up to the car in the lot and just to get out and look at it. :jaw: is right, cause ford definitely did this one right guys. Only complaint performance wise that i would have against this car is its 3900lbs curb weight. Otherwise :hail2:

• Sponsors (?)

03GTconv said:
It may make 500 hp....but it runs 12.70s.....If you checked out the new Motor Trend in pitted the Cobra/Zo6/and Viper SRT 10

Times:
Z06 - 11.7
Viper - 12.1
GT500 - 12.7

Although I dont see really how its fair to pit these against eachother as the Z06 and Viper in my opionon are Luxery Sports cars and the GT500 is Americas Muscle Car...and it weighs over 600 lbs more..

I read that article. Coming in 2nd to the Z06 isn't so bad when you consider it's $22,000+ less than the Z06.

And beating the viper, while costing less than half as much, is a lot to be proud of as well.

And if you want to get into the "price as tested" stuff, whatever options the testers got on their Z06 (I don't imagine they asked for very much) bumped the price up 6 grand.

RedGTvert said:
Sanman, yes, timing was right to do so.

Back to the original post, Saleen can say all they want right now, but until the car is done and on the showroom floors, I don't believe anything that comes out of their mouths, and as I mentioned previously, who knows if they will even be in business in two years. They are not exactly shattering any sales marks right now.

The Camaro will sell pretty good when it hits the streets, as any new novelty will. That will soon be wiped out by the new Challenger.

If any US manufacturer is gone in 2 years it will be Ford. Toyota has passed them as the #2 in the US, Ford lose 260 some million last quarter and does not have the cash reserves GM does. Massive layoffs and plant closings are just the beginning.

"Drivability, ride quality, interior amenities, etc."

I loved watching pullied 03-04 Cobras spank Z06's in speed so guys like you will shut the hell up. :D

Seriously though, a Shelby doesn't cost near as much as a Viper does, so what do you expect?

Kilgore Trout said:
A 600hp factory Camaro is about as useful as t@ts on a board.

One tenth of one percent of car enthusiasts would be interested and able to afford them.

Not a very smart move on GM's part IMHO. They need to focus on the masses and move product.

Actually, that's exactly what they're doing right now, however, that is why the Camaro and Firebird died to begin with. They've always had power, this is not NEWS TO ANY OF US, but, the problem has always been, the rest of the car was as desirable as a large rotting whale carcass.

:SNSign:

03GTconv said:
Depends on the Enthusiast....Yeah lets be realistic.....The new Mustang my friend brand new is being marked at 30k +....although they say a starting price of 25k...yeah a V6....There all overpriced and ford is right there along with the rest!!!

Well I could have qouted about 50 different things from just about anyone, a lot of people are just, talkin $hIT, however....

This stood out, the '06 I test drove, not long ago, was going to cost me just under 27. I think you need to also, understand, this country is big! You're in one, small part of it.

Lets all, not be too presumptious, and wait and see. Not everything that Chevy's does as a good thing is going to be a bad thing for Ford. Maybe a new 400hp Camaro, if it's on a good chassis and actually runs good, will be good, it will require the mustang to get better, and, didn't it help....I think they washed each other's backs for a long time.

Anyways, the only thing I'm honestly not happy with is Saleen selling out, that is, if it's even true. I don't believe anything until I have absolute proof or a very good idea of some kind to base my presumptions, which this thread is not.

Who knows, we'll see. But, I'm telling you right now. GM isn't doing much better than Ford, although Ford is suffering still from lost profits from the '90's, if they keep their head up, and freaking design things properly, WHICH DOESN'T COST EXTRA MONEY, JUST ENGINEERING, eeuuhhmmm, they'll be fine, but don't think that GM is all too dandy, they're going through a huge transition right now, look how much of their lineup has almost no history, they're a very new product lately, so, I don't see them taking huge risks. And, a extremely well performing V-8 car will be easy for them, lots of room to guzzle gas, with their lineup and sales, the government is not on their a$s as bad as Ford (1million F150's a year doesn't help).

I will expect a base model to be competative in performance and price to the mustang, if they don't compete with the mustang, then they're not doing their job. Think about that long and hard, and you'll understand what the hell I'm talking about. Also, don't listen to a word a say, I'm just as biased as everyone else here. However, I'm not full of it. If I'm sitting in a 2000 Mustang GT, and my clone is sitting next to me in a 2000 SS, I know for a fact I'm losing, and you know what, it's ok, because after the race, my car will run good all the way home, it will have brakes, it can turn, and, it's nice to look at, inside and out.

K I'll post back in here in a few days, busy me. Catch ya's lata. Maybe tonght..

:SNSign:

04DarkShadowGT said:
If any US manufacturer is gone in 2 years it will be Ford. Toyota has passed them as the #2 in the US, Ford lose 260 some million last quarter and does not have the cash reserves GM does. Massive layoffs and plant closings are just the beginning.

There are many things you may not know. I do not claim to be an expert on Saleen or their finances, I am only relaying information from industry people who know what is happening right there, and the picture isn't rosey.

I would bank my money behind a company like Ford, GM, before a small tuner company like Saleen. Raising capital is much easier for the big three than a company the size of Saleen.

Even if one of the big three goes into 11, suppliers will still line up to sell them. Do you think Saleen could say the same?

camarodarrell said:
I think it's funny when ford gets spanked in speed (which, these are sports cars), people revert to other things it wins at, like stuff that is important when buying a cadillac.

I was just stating why Motor Trend ranked us above the Viper. I didn't say anything about the Z06. No need to get defensive there, bowtie boy.

PS.
Don't even mention Cadillacs. Good god, what pieces of crap.

PPS.
If they really wanted to do a comparison, why didn't they put the Ford GT in there? As long as we're comparing performance flagship cars, doing $60k Z06 vs $120k GT isn't much different from $40k GT500 vs $80k Viper. Then who wins?

camarodarrell said:
Yep, it takes a modified ford to "spank" a stock chevy.
....And it takes an modified rear-end to get a GM to the end of the track without breaking down...what's your point?

Why do you even post here? Go to the camaro forum.

Oh and the new camaro will flop. That's my prediction. It doesn't matter if it's faster. It's still ugly as sin and people still won't buy it.

camarodarrell said:
Yep, it takes a modified ford to "spank" a stock chevy.

Yeah and that Vette costs what? Nearly twice as much as an 04 Cobra cost? Yeah I think I'd rather spend half the price and come up with a 150 bucks for a new pulley and show that car my tail lights, but hey thats just me.

Maybe if your brain was as big as your mullet you would have realized that....