Engine New Water Pump/gasket Install. Is New Timing Cover Gasket Needed?

Exile

Apr 3, 2012
Dallas, Tx
I am getting ready to install a new Ford Racing standard flow water pump, and a Super Stant 180 high flow thermostat, but after doing some research on installing a new water pump, it looks like your suppose to change the timing cover gasket at the same time? And if your changing the timing cover gasket you also have to change a front piece of oil pan gasket as well?
(if im reading it right)

Is it a must to change the timing cover gasket, and oil pan gasket when installing a new water pump? Or can I just install the new water pump/gasket, and be good to go?

And is it ok to run a high flow thermostat with a standard flow water pump? Or should I only use a standard flow thermostat with a standard flow water pump?

• Sponsors (?)

Well good to hear that its not a must to change the timing cover gasket when installing a new water pump, but I am considering to go ahead, and changing the timing cover gasket while its already torn apart. (we'll see come that time)

But on a side note, if I do only change the water pump/gasket I dont want to use the water pump gasket that comes with the water pump. So I am wanting to get a Fel Pro water pump gasket, but there seems to be a few different ones, and im a lil confused on which one I need?

Does any have the Fel Pro part # for the gasket that I need to just change the water pump?

http://www.summitracing.com/search/...o/Engine-Size/5-0L-302/Year/1991/?Ns=Rank|Asc

just got to autozone or one of them and get the water pump gaskets for your car.. you'll need backing plate to timing cover and pump to backing plate. should be around 3 bucks totals.

i would pull the timing cover unless you have to. you'll need to replace part of the oil pan gasket with 2 cork pieces a bunch of RTV and a rubber seal along the front. ive had bad luck with them in the past. if i need to pull my timing cover i'll just pull the motor and put it on a stand and do it that way. its not real hard to pull the motor out.