New wheels require hub centric rings. your thoughts please.

fiveoho

15 Year Member
Apr 28, 2005
TN
considering a different set of wheels for my silver gt. they are XXR wheels. i personally havent heard of these until this weekend. i was at the NMRA event all weekend in bowling green and seen a cobra with a set of these. done some research on them and found out this company has been around for quite awhile.

i havent ordered them yet as i have some concerns:

- these require hub centric rings. i have never had a set of wheels that needed these. well, actually they state that it is recommended. from what i understand, these rings fill the gap around the hub as the wheel is "cut out" larger to accomodate more than one specific application. the rings prevent vibration. is there any safety concerns with this? with the rings, could i still have vibration? or is this even a concern at all?

- they require smaller diameter lug nuts - 1/2" i believe. concern?

- generally they come in a lug pattern that is drilled for more than one vehicle. i dont like the looks of that but not a huge deal. i can however get them on ebay with the specific 5 holes.

- offset : these are 18x8.5 fronts and 18x10 rears. both have a 25mm offset. my current setup is 18x9 / 18x10 FR500s with a 24mm front offset and a 22mm rear offset. i LOVE the placement of my wheels in relation to the fenders. how much different would it look with the XXR's? could i run like a 5mm spacer to make up the difference?

i'm wanting something different. i love the pieced look without the price. these wheels are ONE piece so no worries about leaks. nlmotoring.com has a special thru sunday and i can get the gloss black centers /polished lip (clearcoated actually) for just under $560 shipped for all 4. thats cheap. but those are only available in the multi lug pattern.

ebay has the same wheel in a slightly different finish for not much more than that.

nlmotoring : XXR Wheels: 521 18x10 Gloss Black Rims

ebay : http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...19&item=360393783251&viewitem=&category=43953

in case the ebay link doesnt work, its item # 360393783251

thanks for any input.

• Sponsors (?)

I've been looking into xxr rims as well.. since ccw classics are so expensive.. these look awesome! The set I'm looking at has a +25mm front and +20mm on the rear... But their 17x9 and 17x10.5.. I was curious if the +20mm backspacing would be correct for my 96, with putting 315/35 tires on... The only down sides to these xxrs are the universal bolt pattern and the hub rings.. ill keep checking here, to make sure these things are even safe to put on.

^ the more i think about it, having to use a ring to center the stud holes makes me nervous. it may not be a big deal but i would have alot more confidence if the wheel itself was hub centric, eliminating the need for rings.

I saw these wheels offered on several sites, but the fact that they feature a dual lug pattern turned me off. It is a wheel that seems too tuner -ish.

I absolutely love the looks of these without the true 3 piece style like CCW or True Forged wheels. I've been looking at wheels to replace my 10th anniversary's, but nothing has caught my eye.

Hubcentric rings are a simple way to center the wheel and are actually used on the nice cars that are setup with really big wheels. There is a special calculator used to figure what size once you get measurements of the wheel itself.

Exactly.. this universal stuff is a little worrisome.. if I were not so broke, I would just buy some ccws. I see the xxr rims on hondaz and all those.. but really none on our cars.. hopefully someone can chime in on the centric rings. I mean, what ring would we even purchase? Just a 17" ring or something else?

Edit: ya beat me josh.. lol. Have a link or something where I can figure out what ring I need?

I saw these wheels offered on several sites, but the fact that they feature a dual lug pattern turned me off. It is a wheel that seems too tuner -ish.

I absolutely love the looks of these without the true 3 piece style like CCW or True Forged wheels. I've been looking at wheels to replace my 10th anniversary's, but nothing has caught my eye.

Hubcentric rings are a simple way to center the wheel and are actually used on the nice cars that are setup with really big wheels. There is a special calculator used to figure what size once you get measurements of the wheel itself.

not much on the dual pattern either but the wheel can be ordered as the standard mustang bolt pattern . 5 holes looks better than 10.

hub centric rings safe tho? the plastic ones out there seem cheap...and its plastic, c'mon. the aluminum flavor would seem stronger but could noise/vibration be an issue?

Exactly.. this universal stuff is a little worrisome.. if I were not so broke, I would just buy some ccws. I see the xxr rims on hondaz and all those.. but really none on our cars.. hopefully someone can chime in on the centric rings. I mean, what ring would we even purchase? Just a 17" ring or something else?

Edit: ya beat me josh.. lol. Have a link or something where I can figure out what ring I need?

double check me but i think a 94-04 mustang would require a 70.5mm hub ring

i still just dont know about these...

Where do you find these wheels with just our bolt pattern? Wouldn't that eliminate the need for the rings since their not universal anymore? Thanks, ill check that 70.5mm and see!

sgmotoring has them. ebay item number : 360393783251

you would think with the specific bolt pattern there would not be a need for the rings but apparently this wheel is not targeted just a mustangs. this same wheel works on Hyundai, Nissan, Infiniti, Lexus and Toyota. i would assume one of those makes has a larger hub center than our mustang :mad:

Yeah, those are nice.. I'm looking at xxr 526.. they don't have many 17" wheels. I like how its bolt pattern specific. I like their offset better on the ones you want.. the 526 is +25mm front and +20 for the rear.. so I don't know how that would look or fit.

So you decided if your going with xxr, fiveoho?

i'm still deciding on what i want to do. love to try them but just skeptical. those 526s do look good too but something about that stepped lip on the 521 has my attention.

ugh...decisions. i still like my FR's but almost feeling like its time for something different.

Think about it like this fiveoho. Even if the plastic ring busted in half, it has no where to go and will remain sammiched in between the hub and the wheel (assuming it is a snug fit of course). I wouldn't really worry about it. If you are really concerned, it could easily be strengthened with some good hardened wheel studs.

Think about it like this fiveoho. Even if the plastic ring busted in half, it has no where to go and will remain sammiched in between the hub and the wheel (assuming it is a snug fit of course). I wouldn't really worry about it. If you are really concerned, it could easily be strengthened with some good hardened wheel studs.

something to think about. i see your point. i guess i am just asking plenty of questions as i have no experience with them.

What happened to the other wheels?

you mean these? very good memory you have.

simmons-1.jpg

they are actually for sale. change of heart and decided to put the proceeds toward a nicer daily driver.