newb when it comes to internals, help!

DerekStangGT

My package is in the mail!
Feb 18, 2003
im not very informed on engine internals, but i want to build a reliable 300+ hp n/a gt. i know i will need new heads, cam, bullitt intake, etc. what else will i need, and what stage/measurements do i need (like how are the lift and duration of cams measured, and i think i heard of a stage 2 port and polish :shrug: )? i really need help from all you wiser guys and gals out there to explain all there is to know about internals. ive already conducted a search

• Sponsors (?)

DerekStangGT said:
im not very informed on engine internals, but i want to build a reliable 300+ hp n/a gt. i know i will need new heads, cam, bullitt intake, etc. what else will i need, and what stage/measurements do i need (like how are the lift and duration of cams measured, and i think i heard of a stage 2 port and polish :shrug: )? i really need help from all you wiser guys and gals out there to explain all there is to know about internals. ive already conducted a search
with all the money you would spend getting to 300hp n/a, you could buy a vortech and have 350+hp to the wheels and still have money left over. there are a ton of guys on here with them, just ask them. the block will handle the supercharger as long as you have a good tune, and keep the boost relatively low.(8-12psi)

slvrbullIT said:
with all the money you would spend getting to 300hp n/a, you could buy a vortech and have 350+hp to the wheels and still have money left over. there are a ton of guys on here with them, just ask them. the block will handle the supercharger as long as you have a good tune, and keep the boost relatively low.(8-12psi)

regardless of whether i s/c or not, i still plan on doing internal work, which gets me back to my ORIGINAL QUESTIONS

somtimes it seems like some people on here have ADD
:p :nice: :flag:

[QUOTE='96&'01Stang]Well a built supercharged motor is different from a built N/A motor. You need to know what you want to do before you build your motor[/QUOTE]
yep, maybe if you gave us more info, we could help you more. :stick:

[QUOTE='96&'01Stang]Well a built supercharged motor is different from a built N/A motor. You need to know what you want to do before you build your motor[/QUOTE]

thanks for the info, i didnt know that. why dont i start w/ a N/A engine. how are the lift and duration measured on a cam? what size heads will i need to improve flow? lets just start w/ those two

I agree with this totally.

Changing tracks in mid build-up would be costly.

I will try to help with some of your questions though. P&P is a port and polish. It basically takes a head and matches the port size to the exhaust, usually by making them larger, which increases flow. Polishing it will make the flow smoother or less turbulent so the air gets into the cylinder faster. Basically this mod increases flow and thus HP, as long as the rest of the motor is not restricting the flow. Basic knowledge states that if a motor is already at max flow for a naturally aspirated motor then adding a bigger "mouth" will not increase it.

I hope that helps a tad...

Bo

slvrbullIT said:
:eek: the parts are about 7 grand arent they? but i guess after all the labor is when the price really goes up.

Intercooled Vortech 9psi kit is around $5500, parts only.

Intercooled KB 9psi kit is around $6000, parts only.

Forged small-block is about $2500-3000, parts only.

P&P heads and cams are around $2000k, parts only.

That is just a starter, lol. Not looking up plenum, intake, throttle body, etc...

Bo

DerekStangGT said:

Hmmmm, if only you could get the engine from a wrecked Mach 1 or something....

You would have the 300 HP, probably wouldnt be TOOO expensive, and it would be pretty original (I know other GT's have them, but not a bunch)

340.29m/s said:
Hmmmm, if only you could get the engine from a wrecked Mach 1 or something....

You would have the 300 HP, probably wouldnt be TOOO expensive, and it would be pretty original (I know other GT's have them, but not a bunch)

only $7000?? :eek: :bang: I've already spent way over that and I haven't even gotten to the bottom end and heads yet....hehe..I guess that IS the number you tell to the other half, huh? :lol:

Well, that AND buy her one cat per $7000 in mods :D

slvrbullIT said:
:eek: the parts are about 7 grand arent they? but i guess after all the labor is when the price really goes up.

Shortblock, Stage III heads, cams, headers = about what you have said. Parts ONLY. Then add in the labor.
I still have the ProCharger D-1SC, Intercooler, fuel system, injectors, Reichard Racing intake, accufab throttle body .... OH S**T..... somebody stop me please. :bang:

Atlanta_GTer said:
Shortblock, Stage III heads, cams, headers = about what you have said. Parts ONLY. Then add in the labor.
I still have the ProCharger D-1SC, Intercooler, fuel system, injectors, Reichard Racing intake, accufab throttle body .... OH S**T..... somebody stop me please. :bang:

:rlaugh: :lol:

thanks for all the info. maybe i will s/c instead. but ive heard of too many who have reliability issues w/ a stock engine. which parts will i need to add/upgrade in order to run a s/c safely for a good 5-10 years? i know i will do a bullitt intake and new cam, but how are the cams measured? and what else do i NEED to build a strong reliable engine w/ a s/c? thanks