Newbie needs advice.

Brett218

Apr 10, 2007
Currently drive a red 93 MTX sho, i want something i can get more bang out of my buck with.

I did search some before posting, but all i found was info on swapping a FI motor not carb'd, different gens and different motors, so i really cant use them for reference.

i have a 1980 notch back mustang in my backyard just sitting. Its a 4 cylinder non turbo with 93k on it. I have a couple questions to ask you all. I can get ahold of a carb'd 302 for pretty cheap and motor mounts for free. I was told that the 4 cylinder 4 spd manual transmission will bolt up to a v8 with a t-5 bellhousing, is this true? Is this tranny even worth it? Secondly, what needs to be changed suspension wise when doing a v8 swap? Would the 4 banger rearend hold up temporarily? Ive also been told then you can weld something in the rearend to make it "posi", er burn two wheels instead of one :D any truth to this?

I Apologize if this is the wrong place to post this. But, i did look in the 2.3 talk section first and found no threads pertaining to a v8 swap, besides... who better to ask then v8 owners.

Any replies would be appreciated, i apologize if its a lost cause and ive wasted your time. :p

• Sponsors (?)

Not a lost cause, lots of V8 swapped Mustangs out there, just a whole lotta work. Carbed is easier to get done, and no, the tranny and rearend would have to go, too. Cheaper and simpler to find a 5.0 without a motor, or a used up driver(there's no shortage of those) to start with.