Newbie to boost needs direction on SC setup

supafly

Founding Member
Jul 14, 2000
JC, KS
It has been far too long since I have posted on Stangnet and nearly as long since I have driven my Stang. The first trip out of storage will be to the tire shop as the old shoes are worn out. Since I have talked myself out of buying a Harley (for now) the Mustang mod bug is biting again, and I'm thinking SUPERCHARGER, and a brake upgrade. Will those of you with knowledge/experience steer me in the right direction on ATI Procharger setup?

My '88 GT vert has the following mods--
Engine: Stock 302/5.0L with Trick FLow Street Heat intake, BBK 70mm throttle body, C&L 73mm mass air, BBK equal length 1&5/8 headers, Mac 2.5" ProChamber, Mac 2.5" catback, Ford Motorsport 3.73 gear, B&M shift kit (rebuilt automatic transmission), Ford Motorsport plugs,distributor cap,9mm wires, Aeromotive air fuel pressure regulator @37psi, 14* initial timing timing, 180* thermostat

Suspension/other: Eibach springs, Tokico Illuma adjustable shocks , '91-'93 stock 16" pony rims, Kenny Brown strut tower brace, double cross subframe connector & K-member,

Mods installed at MC Racing in Lenexa, KS, dyno'd @ 227rwhp/274 rwtq

I want to do this without breaking the bank (the Harley would have been financed) and using my exisiting mods. I appreciate any input anyone can provide. Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

What kind of power are you looking to make and $$ to spend. The lower end prochargers are kinda junk. The Novi 1000 is a nice little blower that would work well for you. Depending on how much boost you run It should be able to put 350+ to the tires. Remember you'll need bigger injectors, fuel pump, regulator, mass air and a tune. If your having all the parts installed too it will add up quickly!

A 50%-60% power boost (at the wheels) would be great, getting me to or above that 350rwhp mark. I'd like to keep the power adder and brake upgrade under $3,500. What is your opinion on ATI Prochargers? Is that what you meant by lower end/junk? I am leaning toward them because they are the closest to a local company for me and I like to support local. I have a friend/neighbor who is a retired mechanic with every tool imaginable and a lot of expertise so we'll be doing the installation. I would probably go back to the speedshop where my old mods were installed for a dynotune.

Generally there are alot of problems with prochargers until you get into the F series which is way more then what you need. Whats the brake upgrade going to cost? I am thinking the supercharger stuff is going to cost atleast $3000 if you buy it all new.

I haven't priced the brake upgrade yet, but I wasn't planning on going overboard with it. I'm going to try to take the advice given on this link
87-93 Mustang 5.0 Brake upgrade pages. Improve your 60-0 times!
and beef up the front discs as much as possible and convert the rear drums to discs. I want to keep my existing 16" pony rims. I like the sleeper appeal.
I thought the SC route may cost me more than what I initially wanted to spend, so I'll be patient and do some homework and bargain searching.