Next Mods to Crack 300 RWHP

97predator

Aug 18, 2003
va beach
I am looking to break in to the 300 rwhp club next year.

Car and Mods: 2002 GT
Long tube headers, catted x pipe, cat back
3.73 gears

I had the LT's installed this summer and the shop got a basic tune in for the gears and new mods, but couldn;t do real tuning since, as it turns out, the clutch was not holding up. It was slipping so power kept dropping off as the car closed in on 4000 rpm. I put in a the 03/04 Cobra clutch and had the flywheel resurfaced, which of course broke the motor mounts the first time I got on the car once the clutch was broken in. :nono: So the car now also has Energy Suspension motor mounts as well.

With the slipping clutch the car made 275 rwhp and was slipping above 3500 rpm. I'm hoping there are a few more ponies in there with the new clutch. I am wondering what the best path to 300+ horsepower is without a blower. Which bolt ons do I need?

Stage 1 cams-TB/Plenum-Pullies-Cold Air Intake? Would the stage 1 cams get me there by themselves? Look forward to the comments, thanks. :flag:

• Sponsors (?)

Well if I were to do TFS heads and cams I would be close to what a used blower costs. I'm just looking to get over three hundred without breaking the bank. Can the stock motor run any of the stage II heads without springs? I read of a guy who used the comp cams 270's with stock springs...Would the Ccomp cams 268's require degreeing or could i just swap those out and roll?

Well if I were to do TFS heads and cams I would be close to what a used blower costs. I'm just looking to get over three hundred without breaking the bank. Can the stock motor run any of the stage II heads without springs? I read of a guy who used the comp cams 270's with stock springs...Would the Ccomp cams 268's require degreeing or could i just swap those out and roll?

I'm running the HiTech stage IIs with stock springs. HiTech says you only need new valve springs if you are going to rev the stage IIs over 6,400RPM.